My New Find and Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwingler

Reaction score
Hi all i found this at a yard sale the 25 hp motor runs :) but its remote with stick steering and has all the controls with it. The transom needs replaced so i took off the motor and foot to set it inside the boat to get it home. Its a 1436 with 18 inch high sides and transom ,56 inch beam and 3 benches, seems pretty well built and it is old from what i can tell. Trailer is home made but has new tires on it. Gave $250.00 for the way it sits.

I think im going to sell my 1432 and fix up this one.

The outboard is a suzuki 25 hp, is that to much motor for this boat?

Whats your all opinion on it?

Thanks

Attachments

• IM000011.JPG
    IM000011.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 895
  • IM000012.JPG
    IM000012.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 895
  • IM000013.JPG
    IM000013.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 895
  • IM000014.JPG
    IM000014.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 895
  • IM000015.JPG
    IM000015.JPG
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 895
That's a project alright but well worth the $250. I run a 25hp mariner on a 1436 jon. It's fast.

Nice project!!

If I remember correctly, my 1436 is rated for 20hp. Mine has 15" transom so with an 18" a 25 might be right. Cant be positive though. I bet it will fly with a 25!! mine is just getting a 10hp so I can fish restricted lakes.

Mine wasnt in much better condition and I think I paid 275 for the boat and 150 for the trailer so you got a heck of a deal!!

This weekend im going to remove the controls and build and engine stand for the motor and clean up the boat good, power washer should knock off the loose paint. I have a much better trailer to put it on. This one is in worst shape then my 1432 but its a wider and deeper boat so i think it will be worth the extra work on it.

I have know idea what make it is, i know its a pre 1971 because it dont have a HIN on it but the metal is thick and it is rivited and the ribs come up the sides.

I'm not crazy about it being stick steering wish it was a tiller. The guy has the controls mounted sideways on the front bench, but im removing it all so i can take the motor out of the boat and stick it in the garage.

I will put in a floor but i think i will skip on decking it.

Projects are fun!

My latest cost me $500 with two flat tires, two running motors and in much need of a hull resurrection. After selling both motors, the net cost was $225 but then I installed a new axle, new tires, new spare tires, new trailer lights, new paint, new floors/seats, new wiring, new battery, brand new motor, new nav lights, etc. It ended up costing more like $5K plus, but it was worth it.

Good luck and hope you're on the water soon!

looks to me like you could make it a tiller boat w/o too much trouble if you can make the motor work for you. Maybe trade the 25 you have for a comparable tiller, and you're off and running. There is a guy at crappiedotcom that re-works/trades motors and such. I don't know him, just seen some of his posts. Look in the classified ad section

Ok got my motor stand made and have the controls removed from the boat and the motor in the garage now. Moved the boat over to my other trailer, this week will be spent stripping old paint and fill it up with water and check for leaks. Hope to start painting it this coming holiday weekend.

I am going to try the aluminum brazing rods from harbor freight, the ones that claim you can do it with a propane torch, im going to try to fix the bow were that lip is cracked.

Also noticed on the transom that the aluminum is cracked in three spots there across the very top. I think that 25 hp motor may be the cause. I need to rebuild the transom so any advice on adding extra support would be helpful. It already has 2 knee braces on it.

I will add pictures of the transom tonight.

The motor is a Suzuki DT25C 1989 3 cylinder oil injected 2 stroke it weights a hefty 139 pounds not counting fuel tank.

Thanks all this is really an awesome site :)

If the repair is structural I would get it tig welded. Originally the transom wood was 1" thick, when I did my rebuild I added a 1x6x48" oak board to the 2 layers of 1/2" exterior plywood all glued and screwed together.

I agree, cracks should be welded. Those brazng rods would be fine for filling screw holes and such but they are not going to hold on a crack.

My transom wood was 1 1/2" from the factory. I just sandwiched 2 pieces of 3/4" ply together and gave it 3 coats of spar urethane. I also had a 1/2" piece of ply on the back side of the transom.

Ok picked up my 3/4 plywood for the transom, paint and a tube of 3m 5200, now to remove the old transom wood and cut the new one, then paint the boat. Will post pictures of transom replacement.

Just got done leak testing the boat all is good no leaks. Now to finish putting it back together and paint it.

Latest posts