1971 Ouachita 16 foot v-hull...Post-paint Pix added!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo Steele

Reaction score
Hi folks!
My first post here, although I have been lurking around for a few weeks.

I have a 1971 Quachita 16 foot v-hull that I inherited from one of my uncles when he passed several years ago. It had been sitting upside down in his back yard near the barn for probably 15-20 years. My dad and I stripped the outside when I got it and repainted it at that time, but never got around to the inside. I completed repainting it inside after stripping it to bare aluminum in most places. It wasn't until I had completed the repainting that I found the transom was rotted almost to sawdust, since it was sandwiched between sheets of aluminum. I had to cut out the interior sheet to remove the wood remnants. I fabricated a new transom plate from 3/4" exterior plywood and encased it in two good coats of West Marine 105 epoxy to seal it up. I had predrilled all the holes slightly larger than the bolts and coated the holes with epoxy too. I finally got it installed with new stainless bolts, washers, and nuts. I also added an aluminum plate on the inside that goes about 2/3 the width and about 8 inches up and down to provide protection to the wood from the motor mount screws for my little 5HP and the transom mount MinnKota 65. It's looking good on the inside now so as soon as the hurricane (Irene) passes, maybe I can get to work repainting the outside, which is flaking pretty badly. Then it will be time for the trailer again! I didn't think to take any pictures of the "before" of the inside before painting, but will update this post when I get the outside done so you can see the old girl in her new splendor! :mrgreen:

Anyway, just wanted to say a big thanks for all the good info on this site (Kept me from using treated plywood, and informed me about using epoxy to seal it up.).

Attachments

• Inside painted.jpg
    Inside painted.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,768
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,768
  • New transom.jpg
    New transom.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,768
Welcome to the site.
Sounds like a great boat and your doing nice work.
We really like pictures....

We're about 20 miles south of Raleigh, NC. We're having gusty winds, probably 30-40 mph, and intermittent moderate rain, but all in all, we're fairing well. We took in everything that would fly, just in case, but no damage so far other than an hour or two without power. Keep your head down up there in Va.

Ringo

Not to nitpick, but you may want to read the hull again - I think that must be "Ouachita," pronounced "Wash-it-aw." I only interject because I was born in Hot Springs, AR and grew up fishing nearby on Lake Ouachita.

I think you are right, Ducky. I was unable to read the decal (what was left of it) on the hull when I got it, and the placard was also too faded to make it out. One side looked like a Q, but it could have been just the deterioration. I even saw a boat under the name on ebay listed as "Quachita", but its hull placard read "Ouachita" I searched for Quachita boats, and found Ouachita with the indian head logo, and that's what my boat had on the sides too, so that settles it. Ouchita it is! :oops: :D

BTW...anybody got a source for that indian head logo/sticker? I sure would like to get a pair of those to put back onthe hull when I get it repainted.

Thanks,
Ringo

Thanks Ducky,
I stumbled across this link a couple of hours ago too. They have them listed, and look just as I remember them from many years ago. I believe the 18" length were the ones on my 16 footer. Now I just have to decide on a hull color, and I'll be set to get started with the exterior paint job. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow of the work in progress and post them. I still haven't decided if I like the khaki color I painted the interior, as it is a little towards pollen green and not quite as tan as I was expecting. I may apply another top coat on it to move the color a little more towards a true tan or even a tan with a touch of gray to it. I am thinking along the lines of a medium dark blue on the exterior, or perhaps a similar depth green. What y'all think?

https://www.vinylapproach.com/replacementboatlogos.htm

Well, the working continues. I got the hull stripped and the primer applied. Now just got to settle on the color and git 'er done! I'll post some more pix in the gallery asap. Still open to suggestions on color. my daughter was with me in the Tractor Supply store yesterday and likes the Ford Blue they had in stock. It is made by Valspar, so it should be a reasonably good enamel.

Got the first coat of Ford Blue on the hull today. Can't wait to get her "sea-worthy" again!

Attachments

• 1st_Coat_Ford_Blue.JPG
    1st_Coat_Ford_Blue.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 1,753
Finally got the painting completed. Here's some pictures so you can see how she turned out. Only thing left on the outside is some Ouachita decals, and maybe a stripe or design of some type. Still looking at that.

Just may start some type of conversion over the winter :wink: [-o<

Attachments

• BoatPainted 010.jpg
    BoatPainted 010.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,692
  • BoatPainted 011.jpg
    BoatPainted 011.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,692
  • BoatPainted 012.jpg
    BoatPainted 012.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,692
  • BoatPainted 013.jpg