Mounting cleats on a smaller jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a jon boat and on the top of the sides of the boat they are round so it makes it difficult to mount cleats on it.The back of the boat has the triangle braces i would think you could mount the back cleats to.

I have looked at a ton of boats here and it seems alot of you mount your front cleats on the round part at the top of the sides.My question is will it stay in good with just reg ss screws.You can't bolt them in because there is no place to put a nut as with the back braces you can bolt all the way through and put a nut on it.Do the cleats stay in strong that way because it seems like if it got choppy the anchor rope can just pull it out.

Also is the triangle braces on the back transom strong enough to hold all the pressure from the anchor rope pulling especially when it gets rough out?If anyone has good better places to mount the cleats please throw in your input,thanks for any help.

I cut triangle pieces of 1 1/2" thick wood and put them inside the corner braces then drilled through the aluminum and used #12 wood screws to hold the cleats. I have had no trouble so far.

Latest posts