Live well "In" pump will not prime

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajunfried

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a problem. When I designed my live well, I didn't think it would be so hard to prime the pump. It takes about 2 minutes after I turn on the pump before it starts filling my live well up.

possible small airleak before pump? like trying to suck sode out of a cup with a straw with a hole in it.

On my 1860 CC Grizzly I sometimes have to run in reverse a short time to prime the pump....River

The pump is located at the hull. There is no line before the pump. I think I might have to install a primer like the ones used for priming gas into engines. i just didnt think I would have to. You can check out my pic albums to get an idea what im talking about.

I'm going to ask a very dumb question. Is the pump inlet below the water line?
Could you put a short section of clear hose on the inlet side and outlet side of the pump to see what is going on?
Also, disconnect the hose at the inlet to the bait well to see if the pump can even pump at all.
Hope this gives you a few ideas...Jerry

This may sound stupid, it did to me until it worked. I have a 2011 Triton 19XS and both aerator pumps had a very hard time priming. I called Triton boats and they told me to make sure the hose that feeds the livewells is facing to one side of the boat or the other, basically parallel to the bottom of the hull. I checked the location of mine and the hoses were facing slightly downward, I adjusted the pumps to make the hoses run straight out the side and they work properly now. Like others have said check for any air leaks and that the pumps are under water. If none of this works try another pump.

Can you provide the answers to the questions above? That would be a good start. Also, can you provide a pic? that way we can see if there is something that we might be missing. I would like to lend some assistance, but there are amny things that need to be answered first.

Thanks.

Latest posts