Motor size

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilstewiy

Reaction score
Hello, my dad and I have just bought an old 1985 14ft aluminium Crestliner that needs some work. The original owner painted the boat and there is no notice on it about how big of a motor we can put on it. As of now we have a 1985 2stroke 9.8hp Mercury and where hoping to put a 15to 25hp on it.
thanks lilstewiy

:WELCOME: The is a great place to be. With 2 people and gear the 9.8 might have a trouble pushing you guys on plane (it will get annoying running it WOT the whole time). As far as an upgrade, I would shy away from putting a 25hp 4 stroke on it because of its weight. As far a 25hp 2 strokes go the mercury 25hp from 1980's- 2004 weighted 115 pounds and the Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke weighted somewhere around 110 pounds. It also depends on if you are going to deck the boat (adds a lot of weight) and how many people/ how much gear you are going to be running with.
Cheers!

I have a 25 HP 2 stroke on my 14 ft Fisher marine. My grandfather had it for 25 years with no problems. It was pretty fast with just 2 people but now I am decking it in, etc. so I don't know what I iwll get out of it.

Latest posts