I wanna go fast!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2keel

Reaction score
Who here loves going fast on the water? I know tins arent made for speed but does anyone or has anyone had a boat that was just built for speed and fun. Im not taking a single person boat but say a ski boat that was just insane, or a bullet bass boat?

Ive got a need for speed and always looking for others who share the same interest....just looking for stories, pictures, boats, anything you got!

Here I am coming into a turn at 70 mph with a boat that weighs 417 #s with me & a 25xs Mercury race motor.Boat is 11' 6" long.

Attachments

• VIDEO_TS.IFO_000298606.jpg
    VIDEO_TS.IFO_000298606.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 2,710
I'll try to find some pictures. I installed a 320HP Volvo with duo-prop drive in an 18ft glass bowrider.

Also put a 525 Mercury Racing engine in a 23ft, and 27ft boat.

Nothing terribly fast though. The small boat was only about low to mid 60's, but fast out of the hole, and the bigger boats were slow going out of the hole but would hit mid 70's

I was working on a twin 6.2 Merc setup in the 27ft boat when things got really bad in the boating industry. Shelved it to concentrate on staying in business, not developing our performance image.

In any event, that boat would have been 640hp, with FULL warranty (vs a pretty limited warranty with the 525, and NO warranty with the 610), and I am betting as good or better fuel economy. Even with two engines.

Lonlb, That is some amazing speeds and amazing builds! Im assuming you have a marina or boat shop since you said your business and performance imagine. Where was your business? Pictures would be amazing

Crazymanme, Wow that is crazy that motor can do that! Is it stock or did you bore it or something? Great pictures! I dont think I could be that close to the water doing 60-70 mph

crazymanme2 said:
Here I am coming into a turn at 70 mph with a boat that weighs 417 #s with me & a 25xs Mercury race motor.Boat is 11' 6" long.

That brings back some memories!!

who made the hull?

HE, HE,,, is this the boat ya putting cmc tilt unit with a merc 85 :)??

fish2keel said:
Who here loves going fast on the water? I know tins arent made for speed but does anyone or has anyone had a boat that was just built for speed and fun. Im not taking a single person boat but say a ski boat that was just insane, or a bullet bass boat?

Ive got a need for speed and always looking for others who share the same interest....just looking for stories, pictures, boats, anything you got!

Never been a speed thing for me, it's all about how quick ya get there. With that being said, my fastest speed in a 15ft with a modified 115 low 90's. Now let me tell ya what.. it would accelerate,, well,, I just can't put it into words.

On a side note,, my jon will make ya smile!!

When I lived in Yuma, Az there were some guys I worked with that had some pretty fast flatbottom V drives and Jet boats. The old 60's and 70's Big block boats are really big out there. From late Sept. to March its all about the sand dunes. Dune buggy's, dirtbikes, atv's. But in the summer when its in the 100's everyone heads to Senators Wash, Martinez Lake, Mittry Lake, which are all part of the Low, Low, Lower Colorado River. Yuma is pretty much right on the Mexican border and California state line.

Example......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8bu9ZfxXtc

I always wanted one but I had too many other things going on when I was out there!

crazymanme2 said:
I've got a project 10' hydroplane in the garage. One of these days I'll have the time to get it done.

No speed demon here. My bowrider is just shy of the 60mph mark. My wife gets nervous before it gets to 50, so the "fun" speed runs are mainly with myself. I keep toying with the idea of changing to a 383 stroker, probably not going to happen.

I have alway been amazed with some of the speeds achievable with small outboards on these small race hulls. I am probably more interested in the hull and motor design, then actually being the test pilot. It does look like fun though.

Wow everyone seems to have some speed in there blood around here!

Reedjj I understand ya on those boats. In alaska my buddies have river jets and there so amazing! They take on class 3 rapids just for fun. A lot run mercruisers or big blocks but one boat I road in talketna it had dual cummins! I just stood on the back deck and listened to the turbos whin the whole time! Still cant get the sound out of my ear.

If I had to do any boat it would be a river boat with a jet without a doubt! I know they don't use them in the south but those boats will handle anything and still ride in 4-5 inch's of water!

Ive never been a big fan of cigerette boats though. Never saw the functionality of them to justify going that way. I wouldn't mind a bow rider or a river boat though that can do 60-70 mphs

I'm one of those speed freaks. Always want mine to go faster. I have a 1994 40hp evirude with an outboard jet on a 16' 42" Blazer SS (aluminuim flat bottom jon) that runs in the low to mid 40's and launches out of the hole. Don't sound fast but then you consider that you lose 1/3 of the power with the jet so it's like a 28hp, and on top of that your running a river that's about 30yrds wide and 3" deep in some places.

Lil blue rude,

How did you manage those speeds? I have a 89 40 hp evinrude and I would love to get close to those speeds on my rig...its running a prop but still

crazymanme2 said:
crazymanme2..That is awesome!!! That has to be a heck of a rush.

crazymanme2 wrote:

Ya, then put 3 or 4 boats in the same turn with one no more than 3 foot from ya.

crazymanme2 said:
crazymanme2 wrote:

Ya, then put 3 or 4 boats in the same turn with one no more than 3 foot from ya.
That looks like a blast. In my younger years I was a motocross racer. I have yet to experience anything close to the adrenalin rush of high speeds and close racing.

Wow thats crazy! You guess are some speed freaks that for sure! I love the aderaline rush from boats and anything of the such!

Keep the boats, racing, and going fast coming!

I got a question for you guys! Ive worked on boats from aluminum to fiberglass but am always wanting to learn more!

My next project in my mind is a bow rider and throwing some kind of mercruiser or chevy block in it and make it go fast but I also want to be able to wake board and have fun in the sun! Not looking for it to be fishing just looking for a bow rider project to go fast.

Anyone got any recommendation of make or year or anything? Would prefer it to be a half way easy project

Thanks guys!

I had a 1989 Sea Ray Sorrento 23'. It had a 5.7 litre 350 chevy in it. The boat did about 60 mph. The hull was the same as the Searay Pachanga P22 which was a rocket. The Sorrento 23 had an open bow and was more family oriented.

Attachments

• sea-ray-230-bow-rider-sorrento-d9cf34.jpg
    sea-ray-230-bow-rider-sorrento-d9cf34.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,469
fish2keel said:
I got a question for you guys! Ive worked on boats from aluminum to fiberglass but am always wanting to learn more!

My next project in my mind is a bow rider and throwing some kind of mercruiser or chevy block in it and make it go fast but I also want to be able to wake board and have fun in the sun! Not looking for it to be fishing just looking for a bow rider project to go fast.

Anyone got any recommendation of make or year or anything? Would prefer it to be a half way easy project

Thanks guys!
Wellcraft made some great boats back in the 80's and 90's. You can drop a chevy 350 in it and it will roar across the water but handles great and would be good for tubing or wake boarding.

Latest posts