Spade Bit for Cutting Hole?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish4thriLLs

Reaction score
I'm considering using a 1" spade drill bit(made to use on wood) to cut out the hole in the side of my Lowe Big Jon for my bilge pump discharge. I've read that any tool used to drill/cut wood can lots of times be used on aluminum as well.

Anyone ever tried this? Do you think it would work okay?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have and it does not work well - it will tear and catch in the metal

You should use a hole saw - or, if you are like me and work fast and sloppy:

1. trace in marker the spot where you want to put the hole

2, Use a 1/4 drill bit, drill on the inside of the line as many times and you can (use a cross pattern to avoid bending the metal);

3. Using a round file, - connect the dots until you get your hole

If you have a nice sharp drill bit it goes really fast with minimal filing

Captain Ahab said:

2, Use a 1/4 drill bit, drill on the inside of the line as many times and you can (use a cross pattern to avoid bending the metal);

this has to be a pa/dutch/hillbilly thing...lol but it does work, a dremel with a nice sharp carbide burr in it works well also :D just yankin yer chain ahab :D

The spade bit will make a hash out of the project. Once the pilot goes through the metal there's nothing to keep the bit centered, the bit begins to wobble and the hole will be a mess. The best is to use a hole saw - they come in sizes up to about 4". You can buy sets or individual saws. If you have to use the spade bit, you should clamp a block of wood behind the hole. That way the point of the bit will remain centered in the wood block as the spade cuts the hole.

BOB350RX said:
Captain Ahab said:

this has to be a pa/dutch/hillbilly thing...lol but it does work, a dremel with a nice sharp carbide burr in it works well also :D just yankin yer chain ahab :D

If you use the dremel tool wear eye protection

80476331.jpg

If you have to use the spade bit, you should clamp a block of wood behind the hole. That way the point of the bit will remain centered in the wood block as the spade cuts the hole.

+1. This is the way I've done this successfully. You still have to go very slow and keep the bit straight. A hole saw still will be easier though (I believe).

We want before and after pics too!

you can get the stepped drill bits at the napa etc for bout 7 bucks. the one I have goes to 1 1/8 ". I bought it for nearly the same purpose but have used it very often since. good bang for the buck.

If you use the dremel tool wear eye protection

80476331.jpg
[/quote]

OUCH!!!!! tell me that not a personal pic????

I have mine run out the back through the hole already in there with 3/4 inch tubing....I would not cut any holes, if I had too I would just use a hook type pipe or tube to go over the back or side..

Unitbit with a 1/4" pilot hole. Open it up to size, then hit it from the back side to debur the inside. A little squirt of WD40 works wonders for aluminum cutting too.

Jamie

Okay, you guys that used the hole saw, can you use a hole saw made for cutting wood or does it have to be one made to cut metal?

fish4thriLLs said:
Okay, you guys that used the hole saw, can you use a hole saw made for cutting wood or does it have to be one made to cut metal?

You can use one for wood - just use cutting oil

fish4thriLLs said:

Yes, holesaws will cut through anything. I've used them to cut through fiberglass, wood, aluminum, plastic, steel, all with the same hole saw.

Latest posts