Alright, here we go...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRichardson

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to go pick up an old 14' Orlando Clipper (circa 65, best we can tell) that belonged to my grandfather. I rode around in this boat as a kid, it's been sitting for 20 years behind my uncle's shed. Here's a pic or 2 (I'll save the more in-depth one's for the build/restoration - also, these are the only ones uploaded to PB as of right this second):
IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

This is going to be my project for the next few months. I have an old mid-90s Mercury tiller that I need to find out if it still works, or what needs to be done to get it in working order. In 2002, it ran perfectly... then it was put on the floor of my dad's garage and has sat there untouched since. I expect there will be some cleaning/removal of old fluids and such - really don't know much about motors. But hope to learn. I think it'll fly with that motor on it.

The hull is in great shape, considering. Small patches of pitting in a few areas, where I think the rotting leaves were up against it, but I can rub it out by hand if I wanted to. Discoloration, as well. Not much paint left on it (I started to strip it back in 1992 or so, guess I got further than I thought).

I intend to give it a tan color on the hull, maybe steelflex it, give it clean simple decks and be ready to go. Is there a better product for cleaning aluminum than stripper? There's not much paint, but I wonder if any chemicals/oils got in there from the leaves rotting inside the boat.

Anyway. Step 1 and 2 are this weekend. Build transom, find o/b mechanic.

There is a product called Aluminator that removes aluminum oxide and shines up the hull really nice. Give it a try. Good luck with your build!

Wow, what a great project!

Earlier this year, I also picked up an aluminum boat that sat for 20+ years in someone's backyard, uncovered. I ground down hull and painted. Surprisingly both motors that came with the boat fired up and ran although the 20hp died off and on but the 4hp ran without any hiccups!

Good luck on the project!

Been figuring out the best way to remove the oxidation on this old boat. Paint hasn't been an issue, it seem so to have worn away a long time ago. But lots of oxidation and discoloration, especially inside where leaves had fallen. I decided to try the wire cup brush route and have not looked back. With a light touch it really seems to get the job done the fastest (there's even a wire bristle tool for my dremel tool, so corners should be easier to come back to and touch up). Here it is in progress:

DSCN1062.jpg

DSCN1061.jpg

DSCN1070.jpg

DSCN1073.jpg

The transom is a "temporary" one that I used a) to test run the engine on a local lake (fast as hell), and b) hold the engine until I build a quick engine stand. I will be creating a proper transom with plywood, spar urethane and a sealant (between it and the boat) very soon. First I gotta build that engine stand to get that thing off of there.

BTW, that 25 merc makes this boat FLY. And thanks for the info on the aluminator product RatherBFishing. It could save me some time on the areas that dont' really need the grinder.

Great project. The history makes it a labor of love.

Please post how the Aluminator product works for you. Before and After pics if you can. I've been reluctant to even start shining up my hull because it such a big job.

But if the Aluminator works I'll go that route.

Well, havent' updated in a while but been working on it off and on thru the holidays. Mostly grinding. I hope I never have to buy a wire cup brush again. I don't want to even think how many hours it has taken to do this whole boat, top to bottom. But it leaves a great surface for painting, and I'm sure this will the be the only and last time I go thru it.

And advice to all - wear long sleeves when using an angle grinder! I knew this, but chose to do things the hard way:

IMAG0259.jpg

Yeah, it hurt as much as it looks. Handle on the grinder broke in the middle of using it..so it dropped down, bounced off the boat and spun up over my arm. Healed nicely but it'll leave a permanent scar I'm sure.

I've only got the rear bottom section of the boat to go as far as removing paint, looks like painting will commence next weekend. In the meantime, I cut the new transom pieces, stained them, and have been coating with spar urethane. However many will go on by Saturday (at least 3).

Here's the inside piece:
IMAG0002.jpg

And the outside:
IMAG0001.jpg

Both are 3/4" oak ply, stained with a walnut color, and liberally painted with spar urethane. In addition to these 2 pieces, there will be one more solid 1/2" piece going across the top inside of the stern. There are two brackets on the inside rear of the gunwales that brace the ends of this 3rd piece, and it will also be bolted through the other two. The transom should be strong as hell at that point.

I took it out on a chain of lakes a week ago and the motor started 1st pull every time, with about as much effort as starting a weed eater. No noticeable leaks (there was some water in the boat, but I may have brought that in with me). After I'm all done sanding I'll do a final leak check in the driveway. Prime it and paint it tan, then fish in the **** thing.

Spring comes early to Orlando, and this project just went into overdrive.

Looks like a nice beefy transom!

Dang that arm does look painful, but at least you will have a great battle scar...

The boy has never left me when it comes to that, I love a good scar. ;)

It's warming up in Nevada, too...it's got me amped to go!

We hit 28 mph with two 225-230 lb-ers in the boat. Cav plate hangs a little low under the keel with the temporary transom, should lift it up an inch or so with the new one. I'm anxious to see what I get alone, and with a little less of the lower unit in the water.

But even at 28, hell, that's pretty quick.

Wow, 28mph with 2 good size guys is pretty darn good. On my initial run before I started my rebuild, I could only manage 20mph by myself with a 20hp Merc.

I know the oak looks nice but having used a lot of it on furniture projects, I've never seen any oak ply that was exterior rated. So you know I gotta ask, was it exterior rated ply?

Yeah, that's what it said (ext rated). I was careful about that after reading so many posts on here about which type to use. I stumbled across it on accident and figured, hell, might as well get this as it looks so nice. Later it occurred to me that most of it won't be visible as it will be under the rear deck. Oh well, at least what can be seen will look good.

Bhockins said:
Great project. The history makes it a labor of love.

Please post how the Aluminator product works for you. Before and After pics if you can. I've been reluctant to even start shining up my hull because it such a big job.

But if the Aluminator works I'll go that route.

Forgot to respond to this... I tried it, but I guess the oxidation was too much. Between rubbing it on, letting it sit and taking it off, turns out to be faster to just go at it with a 4" wire cup brush. Maybe because the coating is so old/thick. I can see how it brightens up cleaner/fresher surfaces.. but for my purposes, I had best results with the wire brush.

That is a really nice looking boat! Normally i'm not into V-hulls but i like the simple clean lines of this one and that transom is gonna look sharp! The speed is nice too!

This past weekend just about wrapped up the work with the wire brush. Just a small patch left on the starboard underside, should take about 30 minutes. I can't wait to put the angle grinder away for good (at least for this purpose)!

Shiny enough?

Boat242012007.jpg

Boat008.jpg

Boat009.jpg

Boat007.jpg

My brother was helping, for some reason he took a lot longer to finish his side than I did:

Boat004.jpg

I'm really looking forward to putting on the primer next week.

Finally wrapped up the sanding (wire-brushing) and it looks great and ready for paint & steelflex.

Boat22512001.jpg

I'll be putting steelflex on the bottom, the transom, and about 3" up the sides (past the seams). It hasn't arrived yet, so I decided to do what I could do - put the primer on the sides, where it will be painted with Parker's Duck Boat in sand tan. I couldn't wait for this part after all that scuffing/grinding/sanding... Got her flipped, in the garage, and all masked up:

22612001.jpg

22612002.jpg

22612003.jpg

Using the same stuff as many others on here for primer:

22612006.jpg

Then the fun part began. Let me tell you, this green painter's type is the $#t. Cleanest lines I've ever had working with tape like this, I recommend it. It's called Frog painter's tape...supposed for form some kind of reacive barrier in addition to just masking the part you don't want painted. Whatever, it worked very well. Primer went on real nice, got 3 coats and it's already looking better. This color ain't bad at all:

22612009.jpg

22612014.jpg

22612021.jpg

22612019.jpg

22612020.jpg

The Parker's will be here this weekend, steelflex maybe by Sat, definitely early next week.

The weather is getting too good to not be fishing, I have to get at least the exterior done so I can put the reg numbers and sticker on.

I have one question for you guys that have already used steelflex and masked off certain parts of your boat - is it pretty much the same as paint with regard to how easy it is to pull up the tape after it's put on? How long do you wait (I sure don't want to epoxy the tape to my boat). I'm guessing it's sort of a "test it and see" method to figure out the best time...

Latest posts