Would like some opinions ...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennfish

Reaction score
Just got a Lowe 1542 witha 25 Merc two stroke long shaft. Boat has a 20" transom. I have a small boat jackplate from my former boat. Should I use the jackplate on the new boat? I like to get in some pretty skinny places but dont want a bunch of new holes in the boat if it's not going to make a big difference.

Really like this site. You guys are incredible craftsmen.

Thanks.

Nice boat.
I'm not positive on an answer for you.
Try it without,see how high get your outboard,without using the jackplate.
You might be happy with it the way it is.

Personally I would feel better with a couple more holes in my boat and a motor a couple inches higher if I was going really skinny. I doubt there are huge performance gains to be had, but if the holes are sealed up properly then what's the harm?

Not looking for a performance upgrade, just looking no performance downgrade. Won't here be some trade off in choppy water vs. smooth water.

Just trying to cover as many bases as possible.

tennfish said:
Just got a Lowe 1542 witha 25 Merc two stroke long shaft. Boat has a 20" transom. I have a small boat jackplate from my former boat. Should I use the jackplate on the new boat? I like to get in some pretty skinny places but dont want a bunch of new holes in the boat if it's not going to make a big difference.

Really like this site. You guys are incredible craftsmen.

Thanks.

I'm not sure you would need a jack plate, as you stated the motor matches the boat.
The cav plate should be about even with bottom of the boat. I imagine yours will hang slightly lower, but not enough to require a jack plate. Hang the motor on and check it.

Latest posts