A Few Questions...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCanOpener

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am very close to purchasingg a Lowe A1457. I found a 1975 20HP Johnson, which he says runs good. See, the maximum HP rating for that Lowe is 10. I was wondering how i could run a 20HP motor in it. Marine plywood? How does that work? Do i just screw it on to that side? Etc.
Also, a plywood floor. Could i just have it sitting on the sides of the boat and then one support down the middle? Does it just sit there or do you screw it in somehow?

Thanks guys. Please reply, as i would need to be done this project by the weekend.

EDIT: Heres a link to the boat. https://www.loweboats.com/showroom/utility-v/angler/a1457.php

Depending on how high you're trying to make the floor, you could absolutely get away with letting it rest on the sides with just center support. A lot of guys on here do that with the floor to make cleaning easier. If you do want to attach it just use L brackets attached to the ribs of your boat with rivets. Hope this helps a little.

Sorry, the L brackets? Are these on the inside or out? For the floor? But thanks, it did.

And sorry, I have no idea with these things. Ridden in like 2 different ones about 20 times (Had 2 trips up north for fishing).

EDIT: Also, is a 57" beam too narrow? I am looking for a very stable boat as my children will be using it frequently. (They all have their boating license). Could i still deck this with it being stable?

The L brackets would be on the inside attached to the ribs of the boat. That would only be if you wanted to secure the floor to the boat.

As for decking, 57" should be more than enough to deck. Check out this link, ben2go covered just about everything when it comes to decking.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9074

Attachments

• l bracket.jpg
    l bracket.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 536
Is this a flat bottom boat? If so, I wouldnt deck it. With a 57" beam you probably have a 1436. Thats what I have and there is no way I'm decking it. My Lowe 1436 is rated for a 20 HP. Post some pics and more details about the boat and you'll get alot more help!!

Edit:

Nevermind, I just googled it. Its a semi-v. Cant help you with the decking, dont know much about those. For the life of me, I cant figure out why that only has a 10 HP rating though.

Sounds like a nice boat...max hp 10?
Seems alittle low for that size boat.

Thanks for the replays guys!

Yeah, would i even need some marine plywood? Or could i just slap the engine on?
And also, would 57" be too narrow is i wanted to go out in the waves one day?

And, if i were to put a trolling motor on, should i putt off the front of back? Or would i be just as well using my motor?\

Thanks!

If you are buying from the factory you will be able to put the engine right on. As for decking, you dont necessarily HAVE to use marine plywood. Of course, it is the way to go but the stuff is expensive. You can get away with NON pressure treated plywood, just make sure you seal it very well. Good luck!

Ok. I am buying from the dealer. I will get the new boat and trailer, but the engine will be used. I found a 1975 20HP Johnson on Kijiji, can't afford new.
Ill have to get it out and try it to see if it is even stable enough. It got tons of ribs, but its still pretty narrow.
And after reading this:
"Semi Vs.These are the boats with a full V in the bow and flaring out to a flat bottom.These are usually measure like jon boats,but manufactures are more prone to use beam width instead of bottom width.These boats are extremely trick to deck,but not impossible.The issue is with the bow.There is less buoyancy in the bow which give less stability in the front.Now here is where things get tricky.Some boats float deeper in the water than others.The deeper the hull is in the water, usually equals some stability.Then you add in the sides of the hull.Flat sides are less stable and sometimes roll over without warning.This has hppened to a couple members of the forum.Flared sides (sides that lean out) are usually more stable than flat sided boats.As I stated,these boats are tricky when considering decks.I have been on quite a few of these boats and never felt stable enough to deck.The one that I did feel good on had a 52 or 56 inch bottom and was decked 6 inches below the gunnel(top rail of the hull).I can not really give specific widths as every manufacture is very different in there hull designs." From the decking post, it unnerved me. Espeacially the part were he said that they have often just 'rolled over' randomly.

Just added the link to it on the main post.

Thanks.

We don't know "your" lake,I'm thinking you would go around 10mph.
The new boat is a thin aluminum,the used one might be the same.
With the used one,the trailer would have to be adjusted to fit the boat better,the looks to be an extra 2X6 on the stern...thinking maybe it used to be on the inside of the boat.
I'm not sure what they are asking for the new but only a 10hp max rating,it's never going to be a speed demon may never even plane with any weight.
See if you can find out what the max hp rating is on the used.
If you don't have a boat yet,don't rush your purchase.
End of the season is getting close and some good deals might be had.

Since you are buying new, I would recommend the 1467 I have seen both boats new and the 1467 is the same length but is thicker and much wider. Plus it would handle a 20hp better.

Latest posts