Please help me decide on a boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay415

Reaction score
Well first of all I am new to the site and think these mods are awesome! You guys do some great work!

Well anyway I want some that 2 adults could stand and fish. I like fishing from a casting deck. I'm planning on starting electric only, because some of the lakes I fish are electric only and also I'll save for a gas motor. I was looking at a used Alumacraft 1432 but when I took it on the water, I wasn't happy with the stability. Especially since I'm planning to have my 5yr old as my fishing partner a lot of the time. I was thinking about the 1448 but also looking at the MV1448. Is stability better on one over the other? What the advantages or disadvantages of the MV hull? Then I was looking at Gillhunter's MV1648 mod and thinking that's what I want so I thought maybe get the MV1648 for the extra 2 feet of room. I'm racking my brain and the more I read the more confused and unsure I'm getting. I'll probably buy new Alumacraft, so I'll have the choice, instead of waiting for a used one to pop up. I have very little experience with Jon boats except for rowing them at my yearly vacation spot. I want to say they are 1236 but I'm really not sure. I do notice that stabilty with one person in a boat is different when another person is in the boat as the boat gets shook a little by your partner. Will a 1448 or the 1648 feel shaky with 2 people balancing or moving around? The 1432 felt very shaky with 2 people. We only took it out for a test ride, but we really had to pay attention to what the other person was doing otherwise I felt like I was gonna fall off the side. Also I'm not sure what size trolling motor and battery I should get because I have no experience with them. I was looking at the Minn Kota Endura C2 because the shaft can easily be spun 180 degrees and bow mounted. I want to get myself out of my kayak and into a bass boat but can't afford one. I like the idea of a modified Jon. I can make the boat I want! Also I will be trailering it. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Pretty much any 1648 will be much much more stable than a 1432. You're talking about an extra 16 inches of bottom width. I went from a 1542 to a 1648 and I can tell a big difference.

The MV hull will be smoother when going through small chop and waves etc, than the flatbottom. However, you will give a up just a bit of stability for this. It's not much, but there is some difference. Again, I went bigger, and also from a flatbottom to the MV, the extra width more than made up for the slight difference the MV vs. flatbottom made. Plus, I'm not getting pounded by every wave, it slices through the waves instead of bouncing on top of them. One thing though, if you only plan to go at electric only speeds, or otherwise very slow, the chop won't be so noticeable.

HTH,
Skidz

1432 is very narrow! I can see how it would be very unstable. A 1448 a nice boat and is very common around here. Its light enough to pull with almost any vehicle but is big enough to fish with comfortably. I think a 1448 for your needs would be fine and would be great for electric only. As with any boat though if you think its big enough go the next size up because it is never big enough. I had a 1448 and fished two people out of it and It was fine. It gets into some pretty tight areas that the big bass boats cant but at the same time I always wanted more room when I put a cooler and fishing gear.

I now have a 1648. I mostly fish alone but I do fish with a friend every once an a while. It is great! I love the extra two feet. It makes the world of difference in the boat and lay out. I have a tracker grizzly and its a completely open hull. I fish in the bow and then someone fishes in the back. Works perfect. I love the boat and will keep it for some time since it fits my needs to fish open water and also trees but I wouldn't mine an extra foot or a little wider.

I think if I were you I would go with a 1648 if you get a choice and you can afford it. Once again a tracker grizzly is a great boat and I recommend them if your looking for an affordable boat.

As for electric only there is tons of guys on here with one trolling motor all the way to two in the back and im sure there is someone with more on this site. I fish a trolling motor in the bow. I used to have my 1448 with one in the transom and the bow but I prefer the bow. I threw around the idea of a bow mounted trolling motor but decided against it. I went with a transom mounted minnkota and had a L bracket made and welded on the bow. I did this so that I can take the trolling motor off when I travel and it doesn't bounce and just so I can move it to the transom if I am bow fishing and have someone up front shooting.

I dont think you can go wrong with the endura. The big names are of course minnkota and motorguide. Can't go wrong with either. Endura's are awesome and I like them. The new bass pro shops prowlers seem very nice if you want to try something different. I played with one at bass pro and it ran great and was very smooth.

I prefer a tiller handle trolling motor over a foot control. I dont like trying to concentrate on the direction of the motor while fishing expecially trolling for crappie or around trees. So tiller all the way for me!

I think for a 1648 I would go with a 48-55 lbs thrust tiller transom mounted trolling motor with a "L" bracket up front on the bow and a deep cycle marine battery would push it great! I mean you can go up to a 72 lbs thrust or more but then your getting into 24 volt and I would just stay with 12 volt. That is what I have done and it works great!

I prefer an open hull boat since I fish alone and fish and hunt out of my boat but some prefer a center seat. I would go with an open hull and then put two seats in the back so that you and your 5 year old can sit together and then a seat up front for you and they will be fine. I have seats mounted on my benchs(mine are a transom split bench) and then I have a mount for a seat closer to the center of the boat so I can put another seat on a pedestal. You could go with way and when you wanted to use that mount you could and when you didnt you didnt have too.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your boat and if you need anything just ask we are all here to help!

Good luck

F2k

Great thanks! Electric only will only be temporary so I can separate the big spending and save for a motor. Do you think the MV1448 and the MV1648 are any different in stability? Or just the length?

I found the 1648 to be more stable than the 1448. That extra two feet really do make a difference that be felt. I would spend the extra money on the two feet without even thinking about it. It really spreads the weight out good and keeps it balanced

I'm on Long Island, NY and this is a salt water community. The closet Alumacraft dealer is an hour and a half away.

My best friend is front long island and he always talks about boating there.

If your fishing salt water remember stainless hardware its a big thing and the trolling motor then should look into a saltwater series to help with corrosion. If only fresh water then I would say the endura is perfectly fine.

Let us know if you have anymore questions

My modified V is less sturdy than my old flat bottom. The V in the front allows more rocking side-to-side in the front than a flat bottom since there is less boat making contact with the water. If I was looking to buy again, I'd probably go flat bottom for just this reason. I tend to balk at windy, choppy conditions where a MV will shine - mainly due to the fact that a jon boat is more like a sail boat when the air is moving and controlling the boat is more work than fun. Having said that, the MV does shine when I'm flying across the lake at max speed. I have a 1440MV with a 25hp 2-stroke so I can really get up and go when I want to.

Depending on how much weight you are putting in the boat will make a difference in stability in the 14' v 16' model. For the same weight, you would need to balance the load a bit more carefully on the shorter boat, where the extra 2' will give you some lee-way. Plus, like F2K said, you will always like the extra room another 2' will give you. 14' can get cramped pretty quickly when you start loading it up.

I mainly fresh water fish even though I'm surrounded by salt. Down the road I'll be looking into a family boat for the salt. This is for my hobby( fresh only).

So then your endura would be fine with this. I know academy had a good deal on a trolling motor its bow mount but it is a nice deal on a good motor. It is a minn kota. Just something to think about.

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12418_-1?N=581132574

I see the Tracker Grizzly 1648 is about $2600 but Alumacraft doesn't put prices on there website. Any idea what the Alumacraft MV1448 and MV1648 go for?

fish2keel said:
So then your endura would be fine with this. I know academy had a good deal on a trolling motor its bow mount but it is a nice deal on a good motor. It is a minn kota. Just something to think about.

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12418_-1?N=581132574
Thanks I'll look into it

Although I couldn't find a price I did find this phone number and website. They say they have your boat in stock. The mv1648 as well as the mv1448 but you have to call for pricing.

https://www.stewartmarine.com/newboats.html

Heres there number...... 845-277-3143

I know its not a price but now you just call and ask for pricing

haha yea that's my closest dealer, I talked to him the other day about a 1436 which I was considering until I tried out the 1432. I sent him and e-mail yesterday but haven't heard from him yet. I'm gonna give him a call tomorrow. Hes a real nice guy!

Thanks again you were a great help, as was everyone else that chimed in!

On the alumacraft website there is a dealer in nj. I dont know how far that is from you I just typed in a long island area code from google but its a thought also.

No problem with the help! The members on this site have given me the best information and help without even thinking about it so its the least I can do to help someone new. I had the same questions as you for the most part. I have gone through many boats from 12 feet all the way to 32 and back again before I found this site.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask! Were all here to help!

Jay415, I've recently upgraded from a 1440 to a 1448 and the extra stability is nice. If you are buying new, go for the 1648, but if you see a nice used 1448 pop up for sale, it wouldn't be the worst choice. One thing to check out before you buy, can you fit the 1648 in the garage!

I'm pretty sure I can fit it in the garage. That's a must for me! The only worry is the door which is just under 96". The boat is 70" wide, so just have to make sure the trailer isn't over 96" which I don't think it is. My garage inside is 25'L by 14'W. So I'm good there.

Latest posts