Bass Cat Phelix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know of anyone who has one of these. It would be a nice upgrade from my current boat. It looks sweet :D https://www.basscat.com/phelix.html

Thats a pretty sweet boat. Whats the pricing on it? I also like the Bay Cat. Anything I buy that is fiberglass is probably gonna be a center console...

I am not sure of the pricing. I am sure it is expensive because glass boat companies pay 2 men $75 an hour to lay down fiberglass unless the have a very expensive machine. (hence why tins are even more popular)

basstender10.6 said:
I am not sure of the pricing. I am sure it is expensive because glass boat companies pay 2 men $75 an hour to lay down fiberglass unless the have a very expensive machine. (hence why tins are even more popular)

Easy there. :roll:
Glass boat companies typically pay the fiberglass layup guys very poorly. Many less than $10/hour, most less than $15.

LonLB said:
basstender10.6 said:

Easy there. :roll:
Glass boat companies typically pay the fiberglass layup guys very poorly. Many less than $10/hour, most less than $15.
Well I guess that I am wrong. I was talking to a guy at a sailboat sealer last weekend about a laser and hobie cat sailboat. He said that a lot of sailboat companies are moving to roto mold boats because of the cost of paying guys to lay down fiberglass. So I guess in this economy tin boats will be selling much faster because of there simplicity to build.

I'm pretty sure they go into different manufacturing styles to get the quality higher. God only knows how many glass boats I've seen with hull blisters from gas pockets in the glasswork. '70's boats were hand laid and well built but still blistered, '80-90's boats had the glass blown in, looked like crap and were weaker while being cheaper to build but blistered like crazy.

The Bass Cat looks like a solid foam construction like the Carolina Skiffs, good boat but not meant to have much done to them.

Jamie

Latest posts