16' Texas Maid Aluminum - Do I need yet another project?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT2

Reaction score
This hull is currently available and I'm trying to decide if I need yet another project. Any ideas on what it's worth in it's present condition? It's a 1962 or 63 Texas Maid Fiesta Runabout. Believe it or not the control cables still work freely.
Looking at the factory prices back in the 50's and 60's is a laugh:
$960.00 F.O.B. 1961
$898.50 F.O.B. 1960
$825.00 F.O.B. 1959
$825.00 F.O.B. 1958
$795.00 F.O.B. 1957
The top of the hull is .060" aluminum, 4 port holes and all, and I'm guessing the bottom plating is .100" at least. Quite the 16' and 530 pound beast. It was rated at 80HP back in the day. Viewing the old brochures was real interesting.

Attachments

• TexasMaid8.jpg
    TexasMaid8.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 2,451
  • 57-61BB.JPG
    57-61BB.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 2,451
  • TexasMaid5.jpg
    TexasMaid5.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,451
  • TexasMaid9.jpg
    TexasMaid9.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 2,451
  • TexasMaid.jpg
    TexasMaid.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 2,450
  • TexasMaid91.jpg
    TexasMaid91.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 2,447
Maybe I should buy it, keep the speedo, and scrap the rest? I figure at 50 cents a pound the hull is worth $250

I would love to have one of those old runabouts. I say buy it and restore it.

I would beef up the transom and slap a 115hp honda four on it with New School controls. Power tilt trim.

Keep the speedo, restore it, but make it into a tach with a white face.

That boat would be too cool!

I have my eye out for an old featherCraft, LoneStar, Alumacraft, etc. Depending on the year I would like to do one in the theme of a 57 Chevy (red) or a Chevelle SS (blue with white stripes on the hood/bow)

Or maybe just polish the entire hull to a mirror finish. I love the silver honda motor on a bare alum boat! If you did yours in white I would of course go with an OMC or a new E-tech!

I would give you $250 for the hull..LOL!

That is a 1963 Texas Maid Fiesta. My dad bought one brand new and I have it to this day. It is the same color as yours. It came from Lewisville with a Mercury 45 hp motor, a couple years later my dad upgraded to the 50hp Black Max and it still runs today. It appears someone cut a hole for a radio, but the speedo was accompanied by mounted barometer which looked cool but was about as reliable as the weatherman. Yours is missing a large windshield, canopy, ski seats. I used to sleep in the front or just lay there and pick at the styrofoam that was installed on either side of that hatch on the focsle. He took that boat everywhere from lake LBJ to the deepest water of the coast of Port O'Connor. Enjoy it.

I have a 1963 Texas Maid Fiesta 16ft. with a 65 hp murk. {original }. It is all original Boat, Motor, and Trailor (all 1963).

for me it is an enjoyable progect. So far i have redone the seats and am in the prosses of putting in a new floor and new flotation syroform, and then its off to the shop to get her repainted original red and white.
We have taken it to the lake several tiomes and she scoots and does not leak.

As a prodgect, if you have the time you might find the finished results could be quite a fun time.....

Uh, I do this all the time.

The original post is from 2011; follow-ups from 2018.

I GOTTA look at the dates.

#-o

Latest posts