3m 5200 sealant on rivets and keel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukelona

Reaction score
Ive heard of using 3m5200 sealant on leaky rivets.the local marina told me they use it all the time and it works great. I can't really pinpoint where the leaks are coming from but I know it s along the keel and some random rivets. He told me to use a caulk gun and just seal all rivets and along keel. Has anyone used this method on there boat? If so how did it come out?

I've used 5200 and it's good stuff. Not a miracle but close.. To find your leaks fill the inside of your boat with water and look underneath. I'd use a hammer/anvil to tighten your problem rivets before applying. There is steelflex and gluvit it as well. These are expoxy based sealers that are popular in sealing riveted tins.

sixgun86 said:
I've used 5200 and it's good stuff. Not a miracle but close.. To find your leaks fill the inside of your boat with water and look underneath. I'd use a hammer/anvil to tighten your problem rivets before applying. There is steelflex and gluvit it as well. These are expoxy based sealers that are popular in sealing riveted tins.

I agree. Use hammer/anvil, and if not sufficient, then steelflex or gluvit. 5200 is more for sealing screws, etc below the water line, vs a smear on surface sealer.

But, riveted on keels usually leak through the inner seam, and you can't reach the inner surface joint. So a surface sealant on the keel, won't help. If you remove the offending rivet and seal with new, it will.

My boat was rear ended yesterday while at an intersection, and the transom brace pushed downward causing a small eighth 1/8 inch tear in the boat bottom. Also lost fish finder sensor, transom motor and bow stop. Bow stop will be a pain to replace, but that is another issue.

Do you think the 3m 5200 would do a decent repair.

thanks

Mark said:
My boat was rear ended yesterday while at an intersection, and the transom brace pushed downward causing a small eight inch tear in the boat bottom. Also lost fish finder sensor, transom motor and bow stop. Bow stop will be a pain to replace, but that is another issue.

Do you think the 3m 5200 would do a decent repair.

thanks

no, get it welded up and fixed correctly at a welding shop

Latest posts