40HP too much?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCanOpener

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was just wondering if a 1993 40HP Mercury was too much for a 16' Misty River. The boat is covered in Marine plywood, so that would add some weight. And anyone know why Misty River was closed?
Thanks guys.

Tracker's 1648 is rated for a 40hp. Lund's bare bones no decking alum 14 footers are rated for 35hp, I wouldn't worry at all. With all the decking you might want a 60hp.

My G3 1756 has a 40 and its NOT enough... No where near enough!

Ok, thanks guys. And any words on Misty River? They look good, but I've been looking it up and I've found they've gone outta business. Is this a bad thing? Because I'm in love with this boat.

This pic is of tinboat member Alumacrafts Boat. 14ft Lund with a 40hp merc!
alumacraftsLund.jpg

I don't have any knowledge of Mystic River boats. But there are a lot of boat companies that start up and go away or get bought out by a larger manufacturer.

If the boat is in good shape and looks like it is built pretty sturdy (compare it to some others), the trailer is OK, and its the right price, and its what your looking for go ahead and get it.

The cool thing about Alum boats is that they are easy to fix. Rivets, bolts, screws, wood, and even aluminum is all pretty cheap and easy to work with. You can get small things welded for relatively cheap as well.

What does say on the riveted tag ?...i almost bought a 16' with 35 Hp Nissan...all i can tell is that Misty River were a great boat company that made aluminum boats right here in Canada, Manitoba =D> .As far as the Hp., i wouldn't worry...enjoy the boat :D .
Dan

If your boat is in solid, structurally sound condition, I would think 40hp would be fine. My 1652 Alweld runs an old 30hp Mariner, but its welded. Sometimes, I wish I had 40hp.

As for Misty River, I want to say that Misty River bought Discovery Boats sometime back in the 1990s. Discovery Boats was a venture started from some ex-Grumman Boat employees. I know the Discovery boats, specifically the Voyager line are very well built boats.

Stove Iron said:
As for Misty River, I want to say that Misty River bought Discovery Boats sometime back in the 1990s. Discovery Boats was a venture started from some ex-Grumman Boat employees. I know the Discovery boats, specifically the Voyager line are very well built boats.

I think Misty River and Misty Harbour are/were two different companies. Misty Harbour did buy out Discovery Marine Inc of Preble NY, which was started by ex-Grumman (Marathon NY) employees. Being not far from there, I have seen many DMI's over the years. As of this summer, picked up my own DMI 1648 for a project.

Latest posts