Torn between two boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
I can't decide which boat to buy. They are both Sea nymphs FM 146. One is a 1995 tiller with a 9.9hp and one is a 1997 console with a 30hp. They are very close in price but I cant decide which one is better for your money taking into consideration the one in the first link has a galvanized trailer.
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2509351075.html
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2607840572.html

Can anyone help?

i like the second one better, looks like it was taken better care of, that being said though if i did get that one the first thing to go would be the 9.9. not enough power for me, id put a 25 or 30 on it. i also like the tiller, better response and control for trolling and i like having both sides free of obstructions.. my 2 cents..

shawnfish said:
i like the second one better, looks like it was taken better care of, that being said though if i did get that one the first thing to go would be the 9.9. not enough power for me, id put a 25 or 30 on it. i also like the tiller, better response and control for trolling and i like having both sides free of obstructions.. my 2 cents..
Thanks! I do see how it was taken care of better. I was planning on putting a 25hp on it anyway, thus why I am considering the other one. I would prefer a console, something to hold onto in rough water. But my only concern would be if anything happens to the motor on that boat, finding a 25hp remote is very hard.

basstender10.6 said:
I can't decide which boat to buy. They are both Sea nymphs FM 146. One is a 1995 tiller with a 9.9hp and one is a 1997 console with a 30hp. They are very close in price but I cant decide which one is better for your money taking into consideration the one in the first link has a galvanized trailer.
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2509351075.html
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2607840572.html

Can anyone help?
I had a 1997 Sea Nymph SC (side console) with a 25hp "Rude". It was like trying to put a quart in a pint bottle :D . The console took up a lot of space! A friend had the tiller model and it was much more functional. I only kept the boat a year because of that. I vote for the tiller model. I agree that it looks to be in better condition also.

I guess the problem is that if I buy the second one, I will have to deal with selling the 9.9 and buying a 25hp. As far as space, I see what people are saying about the console, but I still think I would prefer it. I am the worst at making decisions :x .

Oh Gosh! I am split 50/50. I really like the first one being a console with 30hp, but the second one is nice with the canopy and it looks in really good condition with a galvanized trailer.

In that length, I would get the tiller too. My 14 foot Gregor (actually more like 13 1/2 foot) came with a side console and frozen steering linkage. After pricing steering linkage, it became a tiller model! It's amazing how much space was freed up by removing that side console!

#2 - I picked up a 17' G3 not long ago.. figured it would be plenty big. Long story, it's for sale and moving to a 20 or 22 lol.

I called the guy with the 1st one (console, 30hp) he said that the boat was in great condition, the pictures were very bad, but the trailer is galvanized.

being that you are also in new jersey, I have to ask, why are you planning on NOT going with a 9.9? Is this boat going to live in one water body only? I ask because all the best fishing lakes in the state (Round Valley, Monksville, Merril Creek, Spruce Run,etc.) are 10 HP limited.

acabtp said:
being that you are also in new jersey, I have to ask, why are you planning on NOT going with a 9.9? Is this boat going to live in one water body only? I ask because all the best fishing lakes in the state (Round Valley, Monksville, Merril Creek, Spruce Run,etc.) are 10 HP limited.
I have a house on lake hopatcong, there are no hp restrictions. I want a boat that can get up on plane quickly so I don't get beat up out there trying to drive when there are 40' cigarette boats flying by you. But, if I did not go to hopatcong, I would go with a 9.9.

Latest posts