special cowling art?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2keel

Reaction score
hey guys,

I have a design I drew up to put on my outboard cowling. Now that the design is done I am in need of paint. I already have paint for the cowling itself(omc white) but I was wondering is there any paint in specific I need to do my design over the white itself? Im planning to lay down my omc white paint and then put my design on top of that in black. It can't be sprayed with rattle cans and must either be air brushed or done by hand(preferably by hand). I wasn't sure if regular black art paint would work on the cowling and factory spray paint or if there is some special paint needed for hand painting.

Thanks guys! As soon as I get started on it ill post some pictures. Ill be prepping the cowling tomorrow.

Thanks

Will "f2k"

If it was me I would have a sign guy cut the graphic out of vinyl, apply it and clear coat over it.

Really? That wouldn't be a bad idea and its not that big since its on the top of the cowling so it wouldn't cost much at all!

Ill look into that as well

As far as the paint, I'm not sure. I'm a sticker guy. As far as clearing over vinyl, we have had very good luck with it. You just have to make sure you used a high quality vinyl or else when you clear it, the vinyl will peel.

My dad had a business where he used a white Chevy van for his delivery and repair vehicle. His business name and info were hand printed on the sides, and was done is a "Billboard paint", and I've also heard it called bulletin board paint. He used red and black. The red tended to fade after 5+ years, but the black looked good after 10+.

Im a little worried about the vinyl sticking to the cowling since the whole cowling wont have a sticker on it but just the design. Bull dog is this ok to do?

Also the billboard paint....where exactly do you get it from? I think I may try to tract some of this down and use it

Although bulldog if you feel a vinyl would be better I may go that route let me know your thougths

The vinyl will only look as good as the paint it goes on to. If the paint has bumps and is not smooth, the vinyl will really pick up all the imperfections. I don't see it being a problem as long as you clear over it. You should be fine.

Something to consider:

I don't know why, but I am VERY partial to the "factory" look when it comes to outboards. Unless it's a steal, I would not buy a boat with a custom painted motor. It makes me think that it was either left out in the weather or some significant damage happened to it to where it needed to be repainted. To each his own, just wanted to give you another thought in case you want to sell it one day.

KRS

Krs,

Thanks for your advice! I took this into consideration. Actually the motor as a whole has factory evinrude logos and numbers and is omc evinrude etec white. Straight from the factory.

On the top of the hood though im going to put a design on there. Its the size of a dollar bill at most. If I do sell it I will just paint over the design since it isnt that big with white and its all set.

The paint is called "One Shot", and it's enamel. Argueably, the best brushes you can get for hand striping are Mack brand. They're available in sizes from 1/16" stripe up to 1/2" stripe. If there's a professional sign painting shop in town, you might be able to get the stuff from them. You could also try a body shop supply outlet.
If you're lucky, there might also be a hot rod car club nearby that has a connection. It isn't cheap, but a good striper can lay down anything you want, and will advise you about color combinations that don't work together very well.

Good luck.....Roger

Latest posts