Alumacraft 1457 questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldrosestereo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been visiting this site for many months admiring the builds and getting enough information to be dangerous. :D
I now have a chance to give it a try and I've got a couple of questions right off the bat.
1) The ID tag on the transom states "1457", but when I measure accros the deck it's 36", accorss the gunwhale it is 57". So what do I have, a 1457 or 1436?
2) I understand about PT wood. Got some BC exterior plywood for the decking that I intend to Thomp. water seal as well as the framing 1X's and 2X's. Also have deck screws for the wood to wood and stainless for the wood to aluminum. But I've seen lots of metal brackets being used here and all's I can find is galvenized. Is that acceptable.

I don't plan on keeping this for ever, maybe a couple of years, but I don't want to have to redo the wood again as long as I own it, so I want to do it right.
Here are the initial pics, thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    395.1 KB · Views: 1,377
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 1,380
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 1,379
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 1,379
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 1,379
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 1,379
Welcome to the site.

Truth in advertising, that's a 1436 but saying 1457 might sell more of them...

Long lasting wood, keep it dry and weatherproofed and it'll last a long time.

Jamie

Hey! Re: the galvanized fasteners - you can use galvanized for anything that will not make contact with your boat, essentially. When a galvanized fastener comes in contact with your aluminum boat it will start a chemical reaction that will work to corrode the aluminum.

Jdholmes said:
Hey! Re: the galvanized fasteners - you can use galvanized for anything that will not make contact with your boat, essentially. When a galvanized fastener comes in contact with your aluminum boat it will start a chemical reaction that will work to corrode the aluminum.
Thats what I was worried about.
I have seen on this site people using a type of bracket attaching the wood frame to the boat ribs. Must have been aluminum brackets.
I guess I'll look a little harder for some of those, or figure a way to not attach the frame to the ribs, or fasten the wood directly to them.

Yeah it looks to me like several have used Simpson strong ties which are galvanized...I haven't decided how I am going to do it but it, I have been thinking I will just tie into the seats with stainless bolts.

I believe I have read that if there is a layer of paint separating the two metals it should be enough to prevent the reaction...if you wanted to go that route.

Ranchero50 said:
Welcome to the site.

Truth in advertising, that's a 1436 but saying 1457 might sell more of them...

Long lasting wood, keep it dry and weatherproofed and it'll last a long time.

Jamie
Oh well, maybe it'll help me sell it when the time comes. :D
I really didn't know if someone just stuck that tag on it or not, now I know.
Thanks for the info.

Jdholmes said:
Yeah it looks to me like several have used Simpson strong ties which are galvanized...I haven't decided how I am going to do it but it, I have been thinking I will just tie into the seats with stainless bolts.

I believe I have read that if there is a layer of paint separating the two metals it should be enough to prevent the reaction...if you wanted to go that route.
Well, right now, it's mostly the paint holding this ol' girl together so I don't want to stress it out by giving it any more responsability. lol
I think I'll just attach the wood frame to the ribs unless someone jumps up and says don't. I'm still in the "gathering parts and looking at her" phase. I think I've got a plan, but it changes by the minute.