Aluminum weld and leaky rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOY BOAT

Reaction score
So after stripping the paint in the hull, I found a slice in the bottom about two inches in length, that looks like it had been repaired by indenting the area, and filled with what looks like 3m 5200. I would like to get that and a few other spots welded. What should I expect to pay to have that and a small patch about 2x2" square welded?

I have a bunch of loose rivets. Do I use 5200 on the outside, or Gulvit on the inside, or both. I am not sure the best rout to take here.

Thank you.

I would 1st tighten the rivets and then use some 5200

No idea what the weld would cost in NH but should be reasonable call a few places and compare

I got both of my rear corner supports welded, a 2 inch crack and several screw holes filled for $70 by a guy who works in his garage. Ask around, I'm sure there is someone in your area. Going to a fab shop can get pricey, they want to charge set up fees and then charge you by the hour to weld at about $65 per hour, at least here locally.

As for the leaky rivots, they need to be rebucked or replaced. Use the search feature, both have been discussed in depth recently.

I've never used GluvIt but my understanding is, it is intended for use inside the boat. Do not use 3M 5200 on the bottom of your boat, it will not stay there. It is used for sealing screw and bolt holes and holes for through hull fittings and such. Use Steelflex instead, it will stay but the rivots still need to be fixed first. Steelflex is more for future protection rather than a fix though.

I had about 10 rivets welded and a few spots around the front of my boat. The guy I took it to charges $50 an hour. Took him 3 hours to do it. He took $100 cash under the table.

Latest posts