Too much weight in stern?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay415

Reaction score
I am trying to plan weight distribution in an Alumacraft MV1648.

Bow: deck the bow with 5/8" plywood and extend in out another 15" frame with 2x4's and 2x2's to raise it an 1 1/2 so I can run wires under deck. Bow mount TM. Ped seat, depth finder, etc.
Center: deck with 1/2" directly on ribs in front and behind center seat
Stern: 20hp OB (about 117lbs), 6 gal Fuel tank, and 2 115ah TM batteries (51lb each)

Is this too much in the stern?

I don't think so, but if you are going to deck the front and put a trolling motor up there, then why not add a storage box for it's battery up there also?

I am going to make it storage but I'd like to keep it for tackle and other stuff so I can leave the center seat storage open for a possible live well or more storage. I don't like a cluttered deck.

I was thinking the boat is rated for a 30hp which weighs 157 lbs. then the 6 gal gas tank full would be about 50lbs. So the boat unmodified with a max HP motor would have 207 lbs. more in the stern than the bow. I'm estimating about 180 lbs. more in the stern with a 20hp and mods.

Your batteries look to be the easiest for relocation. Shorter wire run to the trolling motor is not a bad thing. Will they sit on each side of your planned livewell?

The planned possibly live well is an existing compartment in the center seat. The batteries can't be placed either side of it without cutting into seat and removing flotation which I'm not doing in a new boat. I will move the batteries to the front hatch if needed but I guess I'll just give it a try. I'm running #6 wire to TM from batteries so voltage loss over distance should be no more than .6v at max amperage draw of my TM.
here's the boat so far:
IMG_0848.jpg

I was afraid of adding too much weight to the stern. But I do need the weight when fishing alone. Unmodified test of the boat I had a bow mount TM and battery in the bow and Transom mount TM and battery in the stern and my stern transducer was out of the water when I stood on the bow with a foot controlled TM.

Without people or gear my plans estimate with the gas motor about 210lbs in the stern and 120lbs in the bow leaving the stern about 90lbs heavier.
For electric only with a transom mount TM about 180lbs in the stern and 120lbs in the bow leaving the stern about 60lbs heavier. How does this sound for weight distribution?

I need to be able to remove my motor and tank for Electric only lakes. This is the setup I'd run in electric only.

MV1648Rearplanselectric.jpg
[/quote]

And this is the gas setup
MV1648RearplansGas.jpg

I like my boats a little stern heavy. They ride along nicer and sit level when I'm up front. I'd keep the batteries in the stern if you plan on fishing up front.

It will work well. I have a very similar setup with a 40hp. I keep one battery up front and one in back.

Latest posts