Planer Boards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ictalurus

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a set of planer boards. They will be used for trolling Rapala's, it would be nice to run four lines. I'd like to hear if anyone has any recommendations, what to look for, stay away from, etc... Thanks in advance for any insight, input.

If you are only running a few lines then I would suggest not running planer boards but use inline planers. I can run 2 of these off each side of the boat. I have a few churches Walleye boards and they work great. I have also had the offshore inlines but prefer the clips on the churches. If you are looking at big boards I have a set of Otter Boats which also work great off a set of Big Joh planer reels. The otters don't pull hard and stay up nice beside the boat. Some of the big boards pull hard and or fall behind the boat.

Thanks for the reply FSNMachine. I saw the chruches walleye planer boards at cabelas, are those inline planers? Just want something small that I can tie off onto a cleat and get my bait out there 10'-15'.

Those would be inlines. You don't have a separate line to them so no need to tie them to a cleat on the boat. They clip on your fishing line. When you catch a fish you need to reel it in to the board un clip it and keep reeling to get to the fish. They should work great for what you are trying to do without a lot af exra gear like masts and planer reels on the boat. You just need a good trolling rod to handle the fish and the drag of the board.

I run Church Walleye boards trolling for Salmon. I set mine so they do not trip. Some people set them so they do trip. If you want them to trip and slide back, make sure you put some sort of bead on the line so it doesn't slide all the way back and knock the fish off the line. When reeling in the board, I find that pointing the rod at the board helps keep it from diving too.

I learned how to use the Offshore brand inlines from a guy at work, and I like them alot. A necessary upgrade for them is the spring loaded flag kit, though, and that tacks on another 20$ to the cost of the boards themselves, but really makes it easy to see a bite or if something is dragging (weeds etc). We usually run six lines, so it's quite the sight when flags start dipping left and right.

I've seen the Churches, and another brand I can't remember. I'm just more comfortable with Off-Shore.

C

Latest posts