This kind of annoys me....I wonder why this is?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
linehand

Post by linehand » 30 Sep 2011, 07:38

My opinion is it's not worth it to enter with your tin. Those tournaments are mainly just fashion shows. I've fished some out of a tin that meets all of the specs. At least around here it's a bunch of arrogant fluckers. Fancy boats and trucks, shiny rods and reels. Majority of them can't catch a cold. It is however fun though to beat 50k rigs with 5k worth of truck and boat combined and a 5 year old fishing partner. Tournaments put a bad taste in my mouth.(insert smart comment here) I would much rather just fish. I'll admit I do sometimes time my self and track weights just for reference.
Family, Fish, Work, Repeat.

Xtremeboats
LonLB

Post by LonLB » 30 Sep 2011, 08:24

linehand wrote:My opinion is it's not worth it to enter with your tin. Those tournaments are mainly just fashion shows. I've fished some out of a tin that meets all of the specs. At least around here it's a bunch of arrogant fluckers. Fancy boats and trucks, shiny rods and reels. Majority of them can't catch a cold. It is however fun though to beat 50k rigs with 5k worth of truck and boat combined and a 5 year old fishing partner. Tournaments put a bad taste in my mouth.(insert smart comment here) I would much rather just fish. I'll admit I do sometimes time my self and track weights just for reference.

I agree 1,000% with you. I know for a fact that the draw you get as a co-angler, may well be a guy that isn't any good. In which case you won't be on fish.
That's not to say that I'm great or anything, but at least signing up as a boater, your success is up to you.

Also, I feel the same way about tournaments as you do I think. But, these would be a way to get some experience on bigger waters, that I have never fished before. That is my main interest in these tournaments.

bcbouy

Post by bcbouy » 30 Sep 2011, 17:00

my wife and i have had the same contest going for 9 years.she may be ahead on size, but i have the edge on volume.way more fun than a sanctioned tournament any day.plus we can drink beer and weenie roast on shore whenever.and there is a bonus if i let her win :lol:
if all else fails....stop using all else

lovedr79

Post by lovedr79 » 01 Oct 2011, 23:05

KillerKilgore wrote:What he said.

x2! you are exactly right in my book! you dont need a 30-50K to catch big fish.
Grizzly 1448SC
Lowe 10' jon

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 02 Oct 2011, 21:38

You dont need a boat to catch fish.

As for the boat restrictions. Write the sponsoring organization and tell them why you wont fish thier tournament. No doubt the "rules" were decided by a bunch of guys who needed something to do. Some people are hung up on social status. Then join a league that allows your boat. IF we all did this, and nobody paid them any attention, tehy might get the message.

The only rules I have for my tournaments is this.
The boat must pass the laws of the governing body (State, Lake, etc.).
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

moloch16

Post by moloch16 » 03 Oct 2011, 10:38

I hear what you're saying but most items sound safety related - some lawyer probably told them to do it cuz if someone entered their 10 foot jon and then drowned in 3 foot seas in the middle of Lake Superior they would get sued for a trillion dollars.

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 03 Oct 2011, 20:46

Nah, I doubt that. Lawyers would make it more confusing.
Something like- failure to utilize a vessel sufficient for the aquatic tournament is solely the responsibility of the participant. Furthermore the participant shall not hold the organization, its members, sponsoring body, et al. responsible for any damage either accidential or otherwise by any member of such said organization, its members, sponsoring body, et al............

Once you enter specifics, your bound by them, lawyers dont like to be bound by anything. :mrgreen:
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

200racing

Post by 200racing » 03 Oct 2011, 23:55

my .02

All boats must be propeller-driven, a minimum of 16 feet in length and have a rear deck (with a seat if requested).
a couple of years ago when the bassmaster classic was held on the alabama river. it was at flood stage at the time. the guy that won had a jet on his boat and ran all the way up the coosa the the base of jordan dam. if you want to see what he went over in his boat google coosa whitewater festival or moccasin gap. to me its easy to see a mechanical advantage that could trump fishing skill

Fishing platforms must be factory-installed equipment. No portable platforms may be used in tournament competition
the aftermarket elavated front decks and poling platforms common on flats boats would be a advantage in a sightfishing tourn.

And finally one more.....
Fuel may be carried only in factory-installed (built-in) fuel tanks. Any additional fuel used during the tournament day must be purchased from a retail facility open to the public and pumped through a hose with a nozzle.

i see this as a time penalty of sorts. preventing boats with bad range/high consumption from just taking as many gas cans as they need to make a long run.

i bet alot of these are from there event insurance.
g3 pf 175 converted to multi species assault boat.
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 47#p241047

monark 1436 flat bottom w/johnson 9.9 hp. eagle cuda 350 w/gps.minn-kota endura c2 30lb.

LonLB

Post by LonLB » 04 Oct 2011, 05:16

200racing wrote:my .02

All boats must be propeller-driven, a minimum of 16 feet in length and have a rear deck (with a seat if requested).
a couple of years ago when the bassmaster classic was held on the alabama river. it was at flood stage at the time. the guy that won had a jet on his boat and ran all the way up the coosa the the base of jordan dam. if you want to see what he went over in his boat google coosa whitewater festival or moccasin gap. to me its easy to see a mechanical advantage that could trump fishing skill

That bassmaster classic was won by Skeete Reese, in a Champion w/a prop driven Merc.

ditchen

Post by ditchen » 05 Oct 2011, 19:39

LonLB wrote:I wanted to fish a couple BFL tournaments this next season as a boater. Seems, after double checking the rules, my boat isn't good enough since it's not a brand new Ranger costing 30-50K.

Some of the things disqualifying my boat.

This one I'm OK with since I'm right at 17'. I don't have a rear deck, (but that is simple to address, or is it?) Not allowing jet boats will exclude lots of boats on this site.

All boats must be equipped with wheel steering; no other steering device will be permitted.

This one excludes me.
There are SEVERAL BOATS being offered now, that are more than tournament capable that are Tiller operated boats. From Lund, Crestliner, Tuffy, Alumacraft, etc,etc.

Fishing platforms must be factory-installed equipment. No portable platforms may be used in tournament competition

Again I don't see the point. Heck, to read this literally, even if you have a glass bassboat, and you fab a front deck extension, this wouldn't be legal.

This rule, also prevents me from adding a drop in rear deck extension.

And finally one more.....
Fuel may be carried only in factory-installed (built-in) fuel tanks. Any additional fuel used during the tournament day must be purchased from a retail facility open to the public and pumped through a hose with a nozzle.

Prevents use of 6 or 12 gallon, portable tanks. Which I may end up using. Depends on if I break down, and just install a built in tank.

There are other boating related rules too. These are just some of the ones that would prevent a BUNCH of us from fishing out of our own boat in these tournaments.
Here in Michigan they do fish some big water-St Clair, Detroit River, but they also fish the Grand River.
Ya got to think outside the box; been in paid competition for many, many years,,, I will just say a few rules were more defined after I arrive to participate and or participated.

To old to be part of that crap anymore!! Kills the the enjoyment factor and the passion does not have the same value anymore. I seek those other cash competitions where general rules are implied and not adhered to. :wink:
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

http://youtu.be/TD8YkECUPGM