71' Valco Deep V Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Hows it goin Tinboaters? Just got done getting the deck cut and placed. Got the transom ripped out and rebuilt. Starting second phase of paint prep tomorrow.

Right now the 1/2" ply is just sitting there. I have yet to seal it and screw it down. After that I can begin carpeting....what ya think?

-Will fiberglass resin work in place of spar urethane? I will be using it to seal seats, transom and deck.
-Do I need foam to fill one or two of the seats? Is it a necessity?
-Which carpet glue has proven to work for marine grade applications?
-Will a few coats of truck bed coating seal the boat from the inside? Ive already caulked down the seams, concerned about rivits.
-Lookin at trolling motors, any recommendations on shaft length?
-Should the deck have been installed at a taller finish height? Ive seem some people stand off with 2x4's- not sure why they do that but....what ya think?

Hi! Looks like we got almost the same boat. Mine has braces that connect to the seats and my transom doesn't go as low into the boat... that seems to be the only difference. Did yours have three or four rows?

I am wondering how you are supporting your front deck...I have been trying to figure it out since I got it the other day.

What kind of ply did you go with?

I have basically just got mine about ready to paint the inside...go my self etching primer today. I was thinking of doing the truck liner on the bottom as well.

Check out my thread...it's just a couple down from yours.

I went with 1/2" hardwood oak for the deck. The boat originally had 3 seats. The first seat is so close to the bow that it acts as the support for the deck. Where the deck sits unsupported at the bow I will use angle iron rivited to the body of the boat acting as a ledger angle.

Did you have issues getting your transom to come out? Mine seems to be glued in the back or something...I have all the bolts removed but it just doesn't seem to want to come out.

Jdholmes said:
Did you have issues getting your transom to come out? Mine seems to be glued in the back or something...I have all the bolts removed but it just doesn't seem to want to come out.
No I didn't have any issues. I heard once some people try to seal the transom to the back of the boat, ensuring water doesnt get back there and cause rot. Just keep chippin away till it comes off.

What kind of paint did you use on the outside of the boat?

Looks good...I will probably steal your live well placement, I like that!

Are you sure your gas tank will fit in the seat area? I am going to have to keep mine behind the back seat if I do a similar style to yours, which is what I had planned. I would think more foam too. Had you thought of laying the pink stuff on the floor and then plywood over that?

I didn't get the paint on the outside yet but I am planning on just a rustoleum...seems a lot of people have done that. I am going to roll and tip it to get a nice surface.

I bought all my self etching primer I. Spray cans at walmart for $4.77 cheapest place I have seen it! It wasn't with the spray paint area it was in the auto section where they have the fiberglass repair and stuff.

I have been buying tools at home depot and lowes as I need them cause they have a 90 day return policy or 30 on power tools...helps the budget. Looks like I will have to go buy a hammer and chisel for the transom.

Jdholmes said:
Looks good...I will probably steal your live well placement, I like that!

Are you sure your gas tank will fit in the seat area? I am going to have to keep mine behind the back seat if I do a similar style to yours, which is what I had planned. I would think more foam too. Had you thought of laying the pink stuff on the floor and then plywood over that?

I didn't get the paint on the outside yet but I am planning on just a rustoleum...seems a lot of people have done that. I am going to roll and tip it to get a nice surface.

I bought all my self etching primer I. Spray cans at walmart for $4.77 cheapest place I have seen it! It wasn't with the spray paint area it was in the auto section where they have the fiberglass repair and stuff.

I have been buying tools at home depot and lowes as I need them cause they have a 90 day return policy or 30 on power tools...helps the budget. Looks like I will have to go buy a hammer and chisel for the transom.
Not sure if the gas tank will fit, it may have to go behind seat as you suggested. I think I'm gettin to the point where I need to buy a motor to go any further...Yea I thought of a layer of foam and then storage above that....I think I just need to go out and buy stuff!

What is roll and tip? Buying tools and returning them?? LOL good work man!

Yeah I figure if I only need a tool for one or two quick uses there is no point in keeping it. If I am going to actually put wear on the tool and I can't return it like new or I know I will have uses for it later I will keep it.

Roll and tip is when you roll the paint...I have read the little foam rollers work nice, and then you lightly skim the surface with a brush after to smooth the texture. It contributes to a smoother shiny surface. You can see videos on YouTube of folks showing the technique.

Jdholmes said:
Yeah I figure if I only need a tool for one or two quick uses there is no point in keeping it. If I am going to actually put wear on the tool and I can't return it like new or I know I will have uses for it later I will keep it.

Roll and tip is when you roll the paint...I have read the little foam rollers work nice, and then you lightly skim the surface with a brush after to smooth the texture. It contributes to a smoother shiny surface. You can see videos on YouTube of folks showing the technique.
Right on, ill be sure to check that out before I start painting. I would keep the outside aluminum. Aluminum looks great with a little bit of cleaning. I took scotch brite pads and got it down to new aluminum....kept the grain in line with the length of the boat.

Well I put a down payment on the Mercury 2012 15hp 5stroke. Hopefully this is what I want! I'm at the point where I need the motor and trolling motor to help with weight distribution, hatch locations ect. Can't do much more If I want to do it the best way possible. Ill be workin on transom brackets today. I'm going to beef up transom with an extra layer of aluminum as well. I'll be goin down to my metal shop tomorrow for fab.

Hey man,

I was wondering what you had done to get your caulk lines so clean. Also, what did you use for caulk?

Jdholmes said:
Hey man,

I was wondering what you had done to get your caulk lines so clean. Also, what did you use for caulk?
If you get a bowl of water and keep dipping your finger in it, the caulk wont stick to your finger. You can spread a small amount, dip your finger then rub your finger across the bead. I also used a syringe, they sell em for stuff like this at hardware stores.
Use before starting the caulking....you can then peel it off creating a nice line.

Tape>caulk>wet finger>spread>remove tape>wet finger and spread again>

I used 3m 5200.

Got the inside of the boat painted today, I used 2 part macropoxy semi gloss gray.

Hey, thanks. I found the finger method was the very best way to get nice lines in household molding, but that is water based. I figured the 5200 was oil based and the water trick wouldn't work. Sounds good!

Latest posts