Weight distribution proposal with pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
This is my weight distribution proposal...any suggestions before I get to cutting holes in deck? This is a 12' Aluminum boat will be using a new 15HP 4stroke motor. Seats will be on pedestal mounts.

might consider moving the forward batt to the other side, your pic shows both batts on one side of the boat, their weights are consistent, everthing else is variable (amount of gas, tackle, whatever else you have in the boat) unless you got something heavy to balance it out.

TNtroller said:
might consider moving the forward batt to the other side, your pic shows both batts on one side of the boat, their weights are consistent, everthing else is variable (amount of gas, tackle, whatever else you have in the boat) unless you got something heavy to balance it out.
Good idea TNtroller. Thanks! Anyone else? Lots of views, no comments...

aeviaanah said:
TNtroller said:

I agree, you might even want to move it back further. Depending on your weight fishing from the very front of the boat.

sf

Sawdust Farmer said:
aeviaanah said:
TNtroller said:

I agree, you might even want to move it back further. Depending on your weight fishing from the very front of the boat.

sf
Right on, will do. Yes I will move storage hatches a bit farther back. I will also recess the trolling motor foot pedal. I weigh 160.

Weight is your enemy in a small boat. Consider one large deep cycle battery for everything, vs two.

I assume there is another piece of plywood on the bow to mount trolling motor. Get a rough idea on how far back that will come based on trolling motor you choose. You may want to move things back, accordingly.

Consider moving your front seat back further, to give more room for standing. I only sit when tired. ;)

You may want to stand on your front bench to do a water stability test, before making all the mods.

aeviaanah said:
This is my weight distribution proposal...any suggestions before I get to cutting holes in deck? This is a 12' Aluminum boat will be using a new 15HP 4stroke motor. Seats will be on pedestal mounts.

I think you need to research how much that 4 stroke motor is going to weigh. Thinking its around 150 pounds or so. That will be your biggest issue. Go with a 2 stroke and cut that weight in half.

Hanr3 said:
I think you need to research how much that 4 stroke motor is going to weigh. Thinking its around 150 pounds or so. That will be your biggest issue. Go with a 2 stroke and cut that weight in half.

I replaced a 20hp Johnson two stroke with a brand new Honda 15hp four stroke. The Honda was considerably heavier! I had to position the motor stand next to the transom and give it all my grunting power to put it on the transom, whereas the old motor I could just carry it around with two arms.

How many passengers and their weights will be important too. Too much weight up front is another consideration when driving in choppy waters. Good luck.

Hanr3 said:
aeviaanah said:

15hp mercury 4stroke is 135lbs...i only weigh 160...you think that will be an issue?
nomowork said:
Hanr3 said:

I replaced a 20hp Johnson two stroke with a brand new Honda 15hp four stroke. The Honda was considerably heavier! I had to position the motor stand next to the transom and give it all my grunting power to put it on the transom, whereas the old motor I could just carry it around with two arms.

How many passengers and their weights will be important too. Too much weight up front is another consideration when driving in choppy waters. Good luck.
On a typical day it will just be me and one other passenger. My ol lady weighs 150 or so....around 300lbs for the both of us.
FuzzyGrub said:
Weight is your enemy in a small boat. Consider one large deep cycle battery for everything, vs two.

I assume there is another piece of plywood on the bow to mount trolling motor. Get a rough idea on how far back that will come based on trolling motor you choose. You may want to move things back, accordingly.

Consider moving your front seat back further, to give more room for standing. I only sit when tired. ;)

You may want to stand on your front bench to do a water stability test, before making all the mods.
Yes there will be plywood to mount trolling motor. Didnt think of the length gettin in the way. Thanks for the heads up. Good idea on moving seat back as well. Thanks again!

I just put a down payment on a new 2012 15hp Mercury. Hopefully I didnt do that prematurely. The motor has a electric and pullstart...i can leave a battery out, its not needed.

Put the starting battery up front too. That will help balance the load.

Find out the weight of your batteries.

Typically the three heaviest items (excluding people) is the motor, batteries, and gas tank. Balance those three out the best you can.

Hanr3 said:

Typically the three heaviest items (excluding people) is the motor, batteries, and gas tank. Balance those three out the best you can.
Ok will do. You think I should exclude the livewell?

aeviaanah said:
Hanr3 said:

I'd go with just one battery, place it where it balances best. No longer than your boat is the current/voltage loss won't be too bad with decent size cables. If you run it down with the trolling motor you can always pull start.

As for the live well, I think you need one to fish. It doesn't have to be full all the time and doesn't weigh much empty.

sf

The space between the 3rd bench and transom is generally not used. I'd keep the foam in the bench and locate the fuel and if keeping 2nd battery behind it. Saves always flippin the lid up to see how much fuel is left, too.

Keep in mind with whatever lid you have on the livewell, the passenger will be sitting on it while under way.

Valid point about the live well lid if you have someone sitting there...but what about doing a smaller lid on the live well and offsetting the passenger seat.

Sawdust Farmer said:
aeviaanah said:
Hanr3 said:

I'd go with just one battery, place it where it balances best. No longer than your boat is the current/voltage loss won't be too bad with decent size cables. If you run it down with the trolling motor you can always pull start.

As for the live well, I think you need one to fish. It doesn't have to be full all the time and doesn't weigh much empty.

sf
Ok I'm sold on the livewell, ill be sure to keep that around. So you are saying go ahead and buy the good/bigger cables eh? Makes a big difference?
From what I understand there are three types of batteries. One for trolling motors (deep cycle?), one for starting engines and equipment and a dual purpose? Do all three work as well for the trolling motors?

FuzzyGrub said:
The space between the 3rd bench and transom is generally not used. I'd keep the foam in the bench and locate the fuel and if keeping 2nd battery behind it. Saves always flippin the lid up to see how much fuel is left, too.

Keep in mind with whatever lid you have on the livewell, the passenger will be sitting on it while under way.
Yea good point, I thought moving the fuel tank and battery in the third seat would help balance the weight a bit closer to the bow. I havent decided exactly how I will place those but good point. I could put a layer of foam then plywood and a the stuff on top of that. What you think? Ill be sure to make the livewell lid sturdy enough for a seat. Thanks.
Jdholmes said:
Valid point about the live well lid if you have someone sitting there...but what about doing a smaller lid on the live well and offsetting the passenger seat.
That may throw the weight displacement off. Lets see what they have to say.

aeviaanah said:
Hanr3 said:

Include the livewell. I forgot it.
Water weighs roughly 8 pounds per gallon. Assume your livewell will be full of water all the time when you plan your boat layout.

Hanr3 said:
aeviaanah said:
Hanr3 said:

Include the livewell. I forgot it.
Water weighs roughly 8 pounds per gallon. Assume your livewell will be full of water all the time when you plan your boat layout.
Will do...thanks man youve been a great help...
FuzzyGrub said:
A deep cycle battery can be used for starting, but starting can't be used for trolling motor. The cranking amps needed for your small outboard, should be minimal. https://instoresnow.walmart.com/upl...JCI_11969_EverstartBP_D_boating_US_ENG_01.pdf

I wouldn't tear into the bench seat and have to find somewhere else to add the foam back for a slight offset in weight distribution.
Thanks for the pdf file. I will definitely read before I get a battery.

You want an honest answer?
Don't waste a new 15HP 4-stroke on this small 12' hull. Sometimes free stuff (I'm guessing) isn't really free. I'd get a minimum 14' and then fit pods on it with the heavy 4-stroke. I'm looking for a 16'-6" hull and 40-60HP 4-stroke to replace my 14' and a 15HP 2-stroke.

Latest posts