your honest opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdbarrie

Reaction score
the boat is 15" long
'beam is 65"
the floor from the front bench back seems to be flat no vee only vee is the nose of the boat.
middle measures 58" and the back measures 54 "
transom hieght is 16" transom width is 57"

The plan is decking as high as i can front to middle bench.
side boxes to rear bench and bench high deck at rear.
does this boat seem to be a good candidate?
1293akh_20.jpg

you guys know what you do and i can learn a lot from you all any advice would be great

thaniks
Bill

Assuming youve had the boat on the water, hows the stability? Take it out and stand on the seat and see how the stability is. The boat looks to be in pretty good condition so from that stand point, Id say its a good candidate. That being said, my last boat was a 1960 Starcraft 15' semi-v with a 56" beam and a 40 horse merc on the back. It was decked to about 4 or 5 inches from the top in the front and rear. The center was left much lower to accomadate a console. It was very stable even with 2 people up on the decks!!

ive never had the boat on the water. not sure how stable it is now. but by reading on here i am hoping it will be stable enough.

Mount the decks temporarily and take it for a test run then adjust as needed.

Good luck with the project. Keep us updated.

Based on the picture, it looks like a pretty solid boat. How's the Stern and the braces?

the boat is solid couple of rivits to rebuck as it has a slight leak. transom is solid .

Looks like a good boat to me.

My only advice is to consider how much deck height you actually need. For me, I only need to be high enough to work my fishing rods without banging on the side of the boat.

I'm 5-10, and a 7-7'6" rod (with long handle) working a jerkbait (for musky) is my deciding factor on how tall the decks are.

If you do this, you will find your deck doesn't need to be as high as you were planning. Giving more stability.

I've measured the beam on my 16' Starcraft at 63.5", I have it decked 2" above the factory seats. The boat is very stable, I fish standing up most of the time and have not had any issues.

Thanks for all the input. i am hoping to deck it as high as possible but will change it if its too wobbly.

Latest posts