New member. Epoxy question for both laminating and sealing.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduffel

Reaction score
I'm having to replace the transom on a Polar Kraft 1652 (1987). It's plywood encased inside aluminum. I am going to use marine ply and laminate two pieces but also want to seal or encapsulate it so I don't have to do it again.

In your experience what brand epoxy products have you used that was good for both functions? I probably only need a couple of quarts I'm guessing.

Any suggestions for a good, reasonable epoxy for both laminating and sealing?

Thanks,

Edited to add a plug for Raka, Inc.

One phone call got me everything I needed and a LOT of information/advice all at a very reasonable cost. Everything arrived in a couple of days and the products worked great. Bought their low-vis resin and fast hardener.

Mixed it and coated both sides of my lamination then mixed wood flour into the leftover and smeared it on. Weighted the pieces with bags of sand and batteries over a couple of 2x6's and it turned out beautifully.

I ordered their 3 quart kit and used 18 ounces of resin with 6 ounces of hardener to glue the two pieces together. I have plenty left over for sealing/coating and other projects. Could have used a little more on the glue up as runout on the edges was minimal. My transom is 12.5 x 72 inches. I would mix up a total of 32 ounces of resin/hardener mix if I did it again tomorrow.

Thanks for your help and advice.

many home and professional wooden boat builders swear by West Systems epoxies. but these are expensive, and could be overkill for your purpose. for sealing wood that doesn't have constant water contact, you'd probably be ok if you use whichever laminating epoxy is available in your local hardware store. being a first time user, i suggest you ask the sales person which is least viscous and has the longest pot life.

you'd also be needing a filler for laminating two panels. i use wood flour since i get this free, but there are many options available in most construction supply stores. ask if they have Cabosil. you mix the filler powder with resin until you get a "peanut butter" like consistency, then apply this goo thinly and evenly. oh, and don't forget to prime both surfaces with pure resin before applying the goo.

WhoDat? said:
I've used us composites 635 several times. I've been very happy with it.

+1. Excellent stuff. Remains flexible yet tough as nails. After application, drill the fastener holes oversized and pot them with a mixture of 635 epoxy and cabosil (also available from U.S. Composites). After curing, back drill through the potted hole and install fasteners with 3M 4200. You'll never have to worry about the wood getting wet even if the fasteners leak and the 4200 will actually allow you to disassemble in the future if the need arises.

I get all of my boat building epoxy from Larry at Raka Epoxy:

www.raka.com

The prices are good, the products are excellent and if you tell Larry what you are trying to do he will recommend the right stuff to buy.

I simple used Tightbond III waterproof glue to laminate the plywood together, then used West Marine #105 epoxy to seal it all up. Worked good, and thin enough to spread with a disposable brush and self-levels well.

bduffel said:
I'm having to replace the transom on a Polar Kraft 1652 (1987). It's plywood encased inside aluminum. I am going to use marine ply and laminate two pieces but also want to seal or encapsulate it so I don't have to do it again.

In your experience what brand epoxy products have you used that was good for both functions? I probably only need a couple of quarts I'm guessing.

Any suggestions for a good, reasonable epoxy for both laminating and sealing?

Thanks,

Edited to add a plug for Raka, Inc.

One phone call got me everything I needed and a LOT of information/advice all at a very reasonable cost. Everything arrived in a couple of days and the products worked great. Bought their low-vis resin and fast hardener.

Mixed it and coated both sides of my lamination then mixed wood flour into the leftover and smeared it on. Weighted the pieces with bags of sand and batteries over a couple of 2x6's and it turned out beautifully.

I ordered their 3 quart kit and used 18 ounces of resin with 6 ounces of hardener to glue the two pieces together. I have plenty left over for sealing/coating and other projects. Could have used a little more on the glue up as runout on the edges was minimal. My transom is 12.5 x 72 inches. I would mix up a total of 32 ounces of resin/hardener mix if I did it again tomorrow.

Thanks for your help and advice.