which boat to get

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshfish

Reaction score
im looking to build a jetski powered boat. originally i wanted a 1448 or a 1648 aluminum jon boat. my problem is there arent any used 1448 or 1648 jon boats near me and im not looking to spend 1000 -1800 for a new one. however there are a lot of 1436 jon boats and lots of 14ft v hull boats. i want decks fron and rear. i was wondering how stable a 1436 would be if you were standing on a deck casting? also im wondering how well a v hull would work being jet powered?

i built mine using a 13.5 ' x 48" fiberglass hull. my buddy has a 14 36 and i'm not sure how stable it would be. we put a front casting deck on his and i'm not too fond of standing on it, but i'm sure others will tell you it's fine.

i can tell you this... i really wish i would have bought a larger boat, but it was all i could afford at the time. 14' is pretty cramped once you get the engine and such mounted in it.

I think you should build what you can. Like you, i didn't want to spend $1000+ and cut a big hole in a new boat. I wanted to do a rough draft for a first build. Mine was $400 for boat and trailer. Less to cry about if i messed it up beyond repair. Mine is a 1636. i would of preferred a 1448 or a 1648, but here in oregon, finding a used one with a title was not in the cards yet. As far as a casting deck, maybe with just one person, but with the movement with two, kinda tippy. Can't really help you with the v hull. Depends on where the boat will be used.

Keep looking until you find what u want! Dont do like I did when I bought my 10'. I wasn't happy until 3 years later when I got my 1448 side console.

Latest posts