Question about my V Bottum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trott

Reaction score
I have a 15' V Bottum with 3 seats. It is just a standard boat with wood seats across the boat. My question is when i replaced the wood covers there was several pieces of styrofoam under the wood. I would like to convert that into usable space, is there a big importance for this styrofoam? Thank you ahead, Trott.

The Styrofoam is floatation that prevents the boat from sinking to the bottom. Even if the boat fills with water it shouldn't sink do to the Styrofoam. Removing it will increase the chance of it sinking, if you remove it try to replace it in a different location.

Thanks for the help, i would rather not sink. There were several broken up pieces under each seat, it looked as if someone just found random pieces and tossed them in there. The boat is over 50 years old so they may have been one piece originally. Thanks again.

That is likely the original foam...that seems to be the way they did it back then.

If you are doing any modifications to the floor you can just relocate it and use sheets of closed cell foam instead. That is what a lot of people do here. You can more evenly distribute it that way too.

Latest posts