Winter storage question....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00 mod

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 1648mv with 25 hp 4 stroke merc and a minnkota terrova trolling motor. All of the batteries(3) and the fuel tank are under hatches and the boat is kept covered with a boat cover and the homemade pvc cover supports stolen from a thread on here, but my questions are...

What do I need to do for my boat to be outside, although covered for the winter. Memphis TN doesn't see much snow, but it does get cold enough to freeze.

What about my motor?

And I'm sure the answer is to empty the fuel cell, but where to dispose. it is not mixed(4 stroke) but does have the proper amount of Stabile in it for protection from ethanol.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

P.S.> I'm not ready to give in just yet, but November and December are almost too busy at work to even fish anyways!

I live in North East Pa, it will get cold in November and freeze. This is what I do to winterize my boat. I run the fuel out of the motor, then spray a fogging agent into the engine through the spark plug holes. I use stable in the gas tank, then I charge the batteries and cover it up.
Is it possible to remove your motor and store it inside?

Engine:
- change oil and filter
- change lower unit oil (check for water and shavings)
- change and check water sep filter, if equiped
- grease/oil pivot points
- fill fuel tank (add stabil)
- run engine, fog
- if carb, you can run it out of fuel
- check manual for any special water draining requirements (outboards usually self drain)
- If theft is possibility, remove prop, grease spines
- store engine verticle

Boat:
- fully charge batteries and touch up a couple of times during winter or do same in your basement
- if in boat, disconnect everything from batteries except charger (don't want anything to drain battery, like radio)
- Store trolling motor inside
- store any electronics inside
- clean boat (it will be harder in spring)
- clean/protect vynel (reduce chance of mildue)
- leave seats in open position (reduce chance of mildue)
- make sure drains are clear and open (don't want water collecting and freezing)
- add your favorite rodent repelant (I use moth balls)
- prop open conpartments (ventilation-reduce mold/mildue)
- cover boat and tilt for draining
- make sure cover is tight and will hold up to rain, snow, ice, wind

Yea, I think your boat cover should provide good protection from Memphis winters. My Dad lives in the Memphis area and owns two tinnies. He built a boat shed, which they stay parked underneath when not in use. I can't say for sure if he winterizes his motors, but I don't condone this, LOL.