new guy with commemts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cromagman

Reaction score
A little intro. I recently bought a 1961 Alumacraft Queen 16. And I wanted to get some info on it so I tested Alumacraft customer with the HIM. And within two days they got back to me with everything I wanted to know about this boat. They even sent me a picture from a sales brochure of the boat. I know this is old news to most of you,but I wanted to in a plug for these guys, they do great work. This may or may not be new to you guys, but I was trying to remove the oxidization from the hull. I tried fine grit wet or dry sand paper, a buffer, and scotchbrite pads. But it looked liked spider webs everywhere. Then I tried it by using scotchbrite pads trimmed to fit on a palm sander I have with a hook and and loop shoe. It works great. There are no directional sanding scratches and it gives a nice satin finished. FWIW

I've tried to post pictures, I wish I could cause I'm quite proud of the old gal but haven't had any luck. I'm not on a computer, its down, I'm on my phone. Maybe I'll have more luck when I get the computer working. Sorry

Sounds like you're in the right place. I'll second the pictures request too. I need to clean up my boat bottom this winter.

I will try to send some pictures. Here goes!

Attachments

• 2011-10-17_22-28-14_870.jpg
    2011-10-17_22-28-14_870.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 467
  • 2011-10-17_22-27-08_604.jpg
    2011-10-17_22-27-08_604.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 467
Its pretty simple, trim the pad to fit the sander. When it loses its effectiveness turn it over and use the other side. I have a sub standard repair on my left shoulder, and a fused right wrist, and this is a heck of alot easier and has better results than doing it by hand!

Attachments

• 2011-10-19_15-18-28_161.jpg
    2011-10-19_15-18-28_161.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 448
That's pretty sharp looking!

I can't remember the site I was looking at but it had to do with pontoon boats and what they put on them after polishing so they don't get dull. I think it was called sharkhide.