Advice Please! Found a good deal, But....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well what I thought was a great deal may not be so good. I went and looked at a boat a few days ago. Its a Lowe Big Jon 1648. It was originally a 20" transom boat. Some where along the lines someone cut it down in the middle of the transom to acccept a short shaft. The work actually looks pretty clean and they still have 2 braces on the transom also. This boat will be a total build for me. I'm planning on stripping it down bare, and building it up from there. However, Should I turn and run since someone has cut the transom? Or is this something I can work past? Its setup right now with a floor, and a remote steering console. Its has a 35 hp evinrude. Current owner recently had the carb rebuilt and he said the boat doesnt leak and no issues he knows of. I'm planning on removing floor and console, and everything else. Start from scratch and build it up into a nice river boat, with a tiller motor. Something for me, a friend, and my lab to cruise around in. What do you guys think? Thanks

J_R_D said:
Well what I thought was a great deal may not be so good. I went and looked at a boat a few days ago. Its a Lowe Big Jon 1648. It was originally a 20" transom boat. Some where along the lines someone cut it down in the middle of the transom to acccept a short shaft. The work actually looks pretty clean and they still have 2 braces on the transom also. This boat will be a total build for me. I'm planning on stripping it down bare, and building it up from there. However, Should I turn and run since someone has cut the transom? Or is this something I can work past? Its setup right now with a floor, and a remote steering console. Its has a 35 hp evinrude. Current owner recently had the carb rebuilt and he said the boat doesnt leak and no issues he knows of. I'm planning on removing floor and console, and everything else. Start from scratch and build it up into a nice river boat, with a tiller motor. Something for me, a friend, and my lab to cruise around in. What do you guys think? Thanks

I would run if it looked like a real hack job, but guys on this forum have done it successfully. And totally rebuilt transoms as a matter of fact. So it doesn't have to be a deal breaker. Are you planning on using a short shaft motor? Else you would have to convert it back.