To carpet or not

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spes

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm going to redo my 14' Lund WC over the winter.
I have many questions and am excited to find this website.
I will post a slew of questions when I find my camera, doh

Fisrt question of many,, To carpet or not to carpet?
I only salt water fish. I don't want to catch it if I can't kill it and eat it.
Looking at pictures of what you people have done, the carpet does look nice.
But how does it hold up to blood and guts?
I would hate to put the time and money into it to only have a stinky fly and flea attracting mess.

Thanks,
spes

(almost didn't pass the registration question.. What color is grass? It's not supposed to be yellow? :shock: )

Just my $0.02, but given your situation I would think vinyl would b the optimum choice. It is just as easy to install but easier to clean guts off.

Jdholmes said:
Just my $0.02, but given your situation I would think vinyl would b the optimum choice. It is just as easy to install but easier to clean guts off.
I agree Spes.
I fish only salt water as well, and always seem to get blood and fish slime all over the place (tend to net it or just yank it in the boat).
It is far easier to just wash the deck with a hose than it would be to get it out of a carpet.
The other part of the picture is carpet holds moisture and will eventually rot any wood under neath. It will take some time
depending on the care taken when building, but it will eventually soften. If you are looking for comfort, sound deadening, and clean-ability,
there are some nice rubber boat mats coming out which can be removed, cleaned and re-installed.
I wonder if anyone has had experience with Astro Turf?
Happy Boating.....Jerry :)

Jonboat Jerry said:
Jdholmes said:
I agree Spes.
I fish only salt water as well, and always seem to get blood and fish slime all over the place (tend to net it or just yank it in the boat).
It is far easier to just wash the deck with a hose than it would be to get it out of a carpet.
The other part of the picture is carpet holds moisture and will eventually rot any wood under neath. It will take some time
depending on the care taken when building, but it will eventually soften. If you are looking for comfort, sound deadening, and clean-ability,
there are some nice rubber boat mats coming out which can be removed, cleaned and re-installed.
I wonder if anyone has had experience with Astro Turf?
Happy Boating.....Jerry :)

I agree with Jonboat. I used a product called grizzley grip which I am happy with so far.

No carpet. I used Tuff Coat which is basically a rubberized latex paint.

There are a few builds on here with Hydro Turf. Russ did an Express build that's in the mod links and was one of them. I believe he said it gets quite hot.

I used white Tuff Coat, and it stays pretty cool to bare feet.

Thanks for all the input!
I'm leaning away from vinyl because it won't wrap around edges.
After reading and reading other paint on products I saw were Durabak,Skid no more, and the Tuff stuff... the durabak had some purty colors

I'm guessing a new sheet of plywood wood need two coats of any of this stuff??

I also used the Tuff Coat. You can get it from overtons or Gander Mtn. It stays cool in the sun and isnt bad on barefeet. I only used it on rails and the front and rear deck of my boat. I ended up putting Styx River Mat down on the floor. I love it!

You can see the application of the Tuff coat on page 3 of my build thread. I do alot of complaining about it in the thread but looking back now it was the intense heat in FL that was the real bad part. If it hadn't been a million degrees that day it would have been a piece of cake.

Here it is https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20508&hilit=1756+cc+dlx&start=45

Read one comment on skid no more,,, said if gas or oil touches it it bubbles off,,,

That's not good

spes said:
Thanks for all the input!
I'm leaning away from vinyl because it won't wrap around edges.
After reading and reading other paint on products I saw were Durabak,Skid no more, and the Tuff stuff... the durabak had some purty colors

I'm guessing a new sheet of plywood wood need two coats of any of this stuff??

Who told you vinyl won't wrap around edges?

DSC02224.jpg

DSC02244.jpg

I use contact cement to wrap the edges of my vinyled pieces, it works very well.

The Nautolex marine vinyl is the schnizzle!!! Durable and very easy to clean... and it looks good too!

I love the look of carpet initially, but if and when I get the next boat it'll be either spray on bed liner, urethane garage flooring, or vinyl for sure.

So much easier to clean and maintain IMO.

NXP

My tin only sees freshwater but I used outdoor non skid porch paint. It's easy enough to put on and repaint. I boat bare footed and it doesn't hurt.

My other boat which I use mostly in salt water has carpet for now. It's not bad but will come out when it's time to redo it.

evey year i steamclean the bedroom carpets.it only takes a few extra mins. to do the boat. there's no comparing standing (or laying :wink:) on carpet to standing on hot lino.

Latest posts