My boat doesn't have any flotation foam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firescooby

Reaction score
My boat had none.

How do I determine if I need some? The boat was decked without foam when I got it. I have removed everything, and wondering if I should do some before re-decking. How should I determine where and how much?

Thanks

Post a picture of the inside of your boat and tell us what you have planned for decks, storage, etc. This will help determine location for the foam.

I put foam in at the floor for sound deadening reasons, and I think it helps quiet my boat. .

As far as flotation is concerned, if you don't have enough foam in it to keep it afloat if it capsized, there's no reason to put it in. Just adds more weight. If you know how much the boat weighs, you could figure out how much foam would be needed to float it if it happened.

Ok...I don't mean this to offend or insult the previous poster...but weight? Really? Enough foam to keep your boat bouyant is going to add less weight than the fish you just caught.

Weight is not the issue. If there is every an issue it is finding the space to put the foam. For example my 14 ft. Valco is going to need about 12 cubic feet. Pink closed cell foam sheets glued to the bottom of your deck seems to be a popular way of getting it in.

To answer your question about needing it or not...You are the only person who can answer that. If your boat happens to capsize, would you like to lose it completely or be able to get it to shore and save it?

I thought that all manufactured boats had to have sufficient flotation to keep the boat floating at the gunnel if fully filled with water?? Rich

p.s. https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

see page 16

richg99 said:
I thought that all manufactured boats had to have sufficient flotation to keep the boat floating at the gunnel if fully filled with water?? Rich

This boat is about 50 years old and who knows how many owners and tear outs.

This is the only picture of the inside I have right now.

I am planning on decking between 3 benches only up to where the "bottom meets sides" and deck in front of front bench level with bench to bow of boat. I suppose I could put some foam under benches somehow.

I am going to run a small diameter PVC pipe from bow to stern for wiring. Battery box will be behind rear bench, one trolling motor on rear, and one possibly on front. Also plan on building a rod storage box to put on right side that will run from rear bench to curve of bow. All wood will be exterior grade plywood, unsure of thickness.

Hope to eventually add a 15-20hp motor on back, with fuel tank behind rear bench also. It will spend most of its time at our campground, which is electric only. Fuel tank and gas motor (if I get them) will only be put on when running river or upper end of Lanier.

Attachments

• Stripping paint.jpg
    Stripping paint.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 817
Jdholmes said:
Ok...I don't mean this to offend or insult the previous poster...but weight? Really? Enough foam to keep your boat bouyant is going to add less weight than the fish you just caught.

Weight is not the issue. If there is every an issue it is finding the space to put the foam. For example my 14 ft. Valco is going to need about 12 cubic feet. Pink closed cell foam sheets glued to the bottom of your deck seems to be a popular way of getting it in.

To answer your question about needing it or not...You are the only person who can answer that. If your boat happens to capsize, would you like to lose it completely or be able to get it to shore and save it?

No offense taken. Different strokes....

In your example, you've added 24lbs to the boat (which btw is quite an impressive average fish caught :mrgreen: ). In my world, that's 3 more anchors to the boat. I've fished out of jon boats for the past 30+ years, so I tend to have small boat mentality. Weight is always an issue.

I opted to use the 12 cubic feet for storage instead of foam and got the boat insured.

richg99 said:
"I am going to run a small diameter PVC pipe from bow to stern for wiring"

My only suggestion there is to make it a --BIG-- diameter-- PVC pipe. regards, Rich

How big are you thinking? I was going to do probably 2". Much bigger than that is going to raise my "floor decking".

My boat doesn't have any foam in it, but I don't think that floatation foam was mandated in the 50's.

I did notice that the two benches are sealed to the floor with a very small drainage pass through at the bottom, so air trapped by that space would easily keep the boat afloat.

That's part of the reason I'm a bit concerned about putting any kind of holes in the benches - but the 2 part foam is easy enough to pick up and put in if I want to make sure I don't end up at the bottom.

Latest posts