livewell questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl60446

Reaction score
First, let me say Hi, been lurking for a while when I had my 1973 lund and 15hp mariner.
I recently picked up a 1989 fisher sv2 with 1988 johnson 48hp spl motor. This boat has a livewell, the pump is mounted at the transom and hosed to the front of the boat into livewell, the livewell has a stand pipe with hole near bottom and hole at top. Stand pipe drains straight down to a thru hull fitting, not to the transom. In any case, I went fishing with a friend (first time this boat) and was going ok when I decided to try the livewell, water pumped in and drained ok, ran for only 30 sec or so. About 10 minutes later I see water in back of boat. Turn on bilge, its pumping and pumping. Go back under by livewell pump and I see it is leaking at the hose connection, I grab it and it comes off in my hand, the output tube has broken off. Water coming thru the pump "good" now. Buddy gives me a screwdriver and I dig the broken part out of hose, loosen hose clamp. Grab pump to shove hose back on what is left of the pump output tube and the top of the pump comes off in my hand, water really coming out "good" now. Finally get top of pump back on, surprised at how easy it is to come off, no lock or nothing and shove hose on. All resolved, turn around and buddy has life preserver on. Never had a livewell before and I am surprised that this system offers so many opportunities to cause sinking problems. Pump coming apart, no valve between pump and transom, hose leaking/bursting/coming off. The drain hose is under the deck, I have no way to get to it without tearing the front deck out and I believe this is all a factory install. Not sure I will even ever use this livewell, should I just plug up all the holes? What if a issue happens when I have it tied up to dock overnight? Opinions? I never fish tournaments so any fish I keep are destined for the table.
Thanks
Tim

Attachments

• fisher3.jpg
    fisher3.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 470
Hey Tim
Talked to a former neighbor last nite who had a similar boat to yours - It was a Fisher circa 1989. He had the same problem and I hate to tell ya - he pulled up the deck and fixed it. Reason - he was concerned about rot. He too felt that if he was going to rip it up why not just disconnect, and seal - but he repaired it - makes it easier on a resale was his thinking.
He still has the boat. He sent me this link - doesn't mean much but it may give you more of a push to repair.

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222505

Good Luck with it,

bobby

All of the pumps in my boat require some type of twist and lock mechanism to get the top off. You can get new pumps at Wallyworld for $20. If that is where the source of the problem was, I'd say replace it. If you have concerns about leaving the boat tied up on the water, I'd invest in an auto bilge with a float.

Brine said:
All of the pumps in my boat require some type of twist and lock mechanism to get the top off. You can get new pumps at Wallyworld for $20. If that is where the source of the problem was, I'd say replace it. If you have concerns about leaving the boat tied up on the water, I'd invest in an auto bilge with a float.

+1 I would also replace the pump with one that has some type of locking device, replace all the hoses and install a shut-off valve. As far as leaving it in the water Brine hit it on the head auto bilge is the way to go just be sure you keep the batteries charged.

Well Guys, thanks for the replies.
I was thinking that a float switch for the bilge pump or all new auto bilge pump might be a good idea too. I am not worried about rot below deck because I believe this boat deck is completely made of aluminum, no wood anywhere except for the transom. I need to check the drain to make sure that hose is on, in good shape and secure. I would like to put a valve between the transom and livewell pump but that is all one piece, i.e. the pump input tube goes right thru the transom and screws down. From what I have seen, most livewell pumps are like this. I took the pump all the way out and drilled a couple holes at the corners so I could "safety wire" the top on after turning it down. I might just plug up both the input and drain and acquire a bit more storage area :roll:

Tell you one thing though, this boat just flew across the water like a bat out of hell, real happy with the motor and performance, started good, idled good, WOT good, which surprised me because the seller told me the motor was not running right, of course I found the plugs gapped at about 60/1000 when I was test running it in my backyard. Not sure if that would do it. Lots more room than my old 14ft and way more stable.

Latest posts