Jon boat for a young basser

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjbassinboy

Reaction score
im only 13, but im addicted to bass fishing. I fish small to medium lakes, including Allatoona, Lanier, and Nantahala. What do all of you guys would think the best boat for me would be?

Hey cjbassinboy!

I recommend you get a Pelican Bass Raider. I own one, and it is the best boat i have ever owned for the price. Check out this link: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16837

i have actaully looked at those boats, and my grandpa( who has been around boats his whole 65 years) didnt like it too much. I have been looking at the RiverHawk boats, any of you hear about those?

the 10-12 footers would be ok for me, but not too great because i fish some larger lakes, and most of the time have a friend with me when i fish, and i dont think that there would be enough room, or stability for 2 people

I have a 10' lowe that works great for 2 people. Done many river floats that have rapids and rocks in it. I weigh 175 my wife weighs 250ish and with both of us it was very stable. She wouldn't get in it otherwise. She wouldn't get in my canoe. Plus you can usually find them cheap. And I got all kinds of ideas for my curent larger boat from that 10' boat. Don't discount a 12' either I have fished with 3 people I'm several 12' kind, jons stability not an issue.

When I was your age I fished with my dad in a 12 foot john boat with a 7.5 hp. We went all over the place and caught alot of bass. Plently of stabiliby as long as you both don't shift your weight to the same side at the same time :eek: . We even crossed rivers in 1-2 foot chop without much trouble, although it would pound you a bit. Good luck on your hunt.

cj,

Get yourself a 12-14ft boat, and enjoy the number of small lakes GA has to offer.

In my opinion, Allatoona and Lanier are no place for 13yr olds to be on in a riverhawk or small boat. Not trying to be a grump, just trying to give helpful advice.

Besides, you've got a bunch of small lakes that will fish alot easier than both within the same driving distance.

what are some of the best small lakes around here? thanks guys for all the info, i really appreciate it. I have been on craigslist every day for the past month, looking for boats actaully! haha!

cjbassinboy said:
what are some of the best small lakes around here? thanks guys for all the info, i really appreciate it. I have been on craigslist every day for the past month, looking for boats actaully! haha!

Acworth
Carters Regulation Reservoir
Lathem
Yahoola
Cedar Creek
Salacoa
Varner
Balck Shoals
Stone Mountain
Fort Yargo
Sandy Creek
Hard Labor Creek
Tribble Mill
Horton
Juliette
High Falls

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but those are most of the ones the Jon Boat clubs use.

I am 15 bust when i was 13 i bought a basstender 10.6.... very stable boat for two people. Cake up to a 15hp 2 stroke. I will be selling it in the spring( two years after buying it) for double what i paid for it. I will be upgrading to something bigger. Check out basstender and pelican they are worth taking a loook at

I'm 41 and I still have the 12 foot jon that was my "first boat with a motor" I started with a 3 horse and graduated to a 5 horse. When I was younger (in my 20's) I ran some pretty serious river water in WY with it. Later I took it into the salt in MA, NH and ME to catch striped bass in less than ideal conditions.

It is light and I can hump it into just about any inaccessable spot I've come across.

It fits into the back of a pick up and is easy to push up onto a roof rack on any passenger vehicle.

I still use it to take my 2 year old and wife and dog fishing on the small lakes and ponds around the house.

I love this style of boat and would recommend it to anyone.

I would get a jon boat that is at least 14 feet. Any jon below this will be unstable unless it is really wide. Jon boats are good because you don't have to worry about messing them up if you hit something. 14' is a good length because they are stable enough for 2 people and can normally hold a 15-20 hp outboard.

Also, forgot to mention this, you probably would want a modified vee hull instead of just a regular flat. They are better for lakes in that they break waves and don't just ride them up. They normally will run a few hundred more (size dependent) but it's worth it.

12 to 14', if you can afford it, more than 36" bottom. The wider the better.

I have a 12' 36" aluminum, that has been with us like 30 years. Reliable, dependable, only gets a little water through the rivets, perhaps every two or three hours few liters, nothing a plastic cup can't do. Its been almost maintenance free. Just 5 rivets replaced in his entire life. Banged a lot, even flew loose from the roof of a VW van at 50mph! It didnt get much damage, just soldered a 1/4" hole from abrasion, and that was it.

We have used a 55lb trolling motor, about 5 miles range from a Group 27 Marine battery.

We got a Maxxum 55 transom motor, with battery meter and Maximizer, that is an elecrtonic digital speed control so it doesn't waste battery with the 5 preset speed coils fround on cheaper units. Longer running from every charge. Worth every penny.

Boat-motor combo for smaller places, very tossable to difficult places to reach, undemanding for storage. the boat has been like 20 years at the roof of our house, we put it vertical against the edge of the roof and one person pulls it up, sliding and then resting over a wood base. Cover it and youre set.

I recently bougth a lowe 17".... the small boat definitely has its advantages: less cost, better to move it, tighter places easier, and perfect for small spots and fewer people.

Good luck, and remember, Fish safe first.

JBooth said:
Also, forgot to mention this, you probably would want a modified vee hull instead of just a regular flat. They are better for lakes in that they break waves and don't just ride them up. They normally will run a few hundred more (size dependent) but it's worth it.

Ditto - I love the flast bnottom in calm waters, but if you fish anywhere where there will be a chop go with a v or modified v. My next boat will be a deep v.

Latest posts