Please help me decide what motor I need!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firescooby

Reaction score
14' Blue Star v-hull
Will be mildly decked
I am 220

Trying to decide between a 9hp or more. I'd love the biggest, but money will decide that.

What can I expect out of a 9.5 hp older Evinrude versus say a 15-20hp.

It will only be used on river and upper areas of lake. Not trying to beat anyone, just don't want to have a dog for a boat.

Thanks in advance!!

I have a 14 foot semi V which had a 9.9hp mercury on it. I weigh about 240 with all my gear and fishing buddy i didn't like the speed i was getting out of it. I purchased a 15hp mercury for it, with a battery, trolling motor, gas tank etc. i barely get on plane. I can run about 12 mph. I you fish mostly on a river I'd shoot for at least a 15-20 hp engine. A 9.9 in a full boat going up river is a little under horse power for me. As far a gas consumption my 15 mercury is great.

Just for your info, I had a 1973 14ft lund with a 1977 15hp mariner 2stroke on it, motor ran good. Me and my buddy are on the big side (250+) all our gear in boat, we were 13 mph on water as I did gps it. But to be honest, it was fast enough for me in that boat. I remember once on kentucky lake the motor hit a large submerged branch under water when we were in the middle of the lake and almost capsized us, that will put a spot on the seat.

The boat I have now, 1989 fisher 16.6ft with 1988 johnson 48hp spl on it really moves, cant wait to gps it someday.

Tim

In GA, I find that you can get a used 25hp motor for less money than 15 or 9.9hp because of the regs on state parks. If the lakes you fish don't have restricitons, I'd keep an eye out for a 25.

Brine said:
In GA, I find that you can get a used 25hp motor for less money than 15 or 9.9hp because of the regs on state parks. If the lakes you fish don't have restricitons, I'd keep an eye out for a 25.

I just don't want to overload my transom.

crazymanme2 said:
Post some pics of your boat to see what your transom looks like.

Buddy of mine had a 25hp on a 14' Starcraft.

Just did in this thread with questions I have!!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22505

go with a 15-20hp. my 14' vhull with a 9.9 was fine with just me in the boat it would plane and do 12mph but with 2 guys and stuff 8 mph and not on plane. I bought a 15hp and it boosted speed to 16 mph. Do yourself a favor bigger is better.