Hooray, I found my trusted mechanic once again!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Hooray! I found my trusted mechanic once again!
Trust is a funny thing. Sometimes it comes along quickly, and sometimes it takes a number of encounters to flesh it out. Fifteen years ago I started taking my boat to Steve Wright at Northshore Marine in Houston.

Steve, over the years, helped me with a half dozen boats. Some newer, some older. His service was always honest and fair. If something needed replacing, he replaced it. If it could be fixed, he fixed it. More importantly, if nothing was wrong..he would explain what I might be doing to cause a problem, and how to reverse that issue. No charge on those items!

Unbeknownst to me, Steve left Northshore in the Spring. I recently returned from my Summer sojourn up North and went looking for him. I found him today at Bowden Marine on Atascocita in Humble.

Once again, he delivered..... fast, honest and proper service.

I feel like I've found an old lost High School chum.

Great day. See you on the water. Rich

An honest mechanic that really knows what he is doing is worth his weight in gold... you really appreciate this after you've been ripped off buy an idiot that calls himself a marine mechanic.

I am in the automotive trade and know my fair share of fair techs and ones I would rather burn my car then open the hood too but thought I would add my two cents here. Finding a tech who knows old motors is even harder and more satisfying when you get one. I am quite handy with engines but a number of years ago I made a fatal mistake in re assembling my Merc. I could for the life of me not get it running correct. I searched all around where I live and found no places had an idea what could be wrong as my description of the problem made no sense. I finally found a dealer up where I was boating and tried my luck asking a few questions. The owner sent me to the shop and the head guy said, you know you are right that should work but we have a guy who worked on Mercs for 35 years of that vintage and he comes in a few days per week now as he retired. Here is his number, call him and see. I did. I talked to him and he said, let me think about it for a few days and I will call you. he did a few days later and told me what i did wrong. In a few hours my merc was running strong again, he was right with his thoughts and I called him back to tell him. he told me he had made the same mistake taking an engine to far apart many years prior and not marked the flywheel and magnets and the ignition was out of phase. I had marked the parts with marker but i had such a hard time figuring out the original problem my fingers rubbed off the marks and I re-assembled the flywheel 180 magnet degrees out. I since then have returned to have props re-done and have purchased cases of oil and anything I can plan for bought at that dealership for years. I know they do not remember me at all and I am sure the old guy is long gone now but finding a tech who knows old engines will be harder then anything in a few years.
My story

Good story. Finding someone in ANY profession....that knows his/her stuff and is honest...is just great.

When I do find them, I tell everyone I know about them. I want them to be busy and in business for the rest of my days. I buy things from them that I know I can get cheaper someplace else...but...I want them to make a profit. Good people are hard to find.

regards, Rich

Latest posts