Pointers on transom rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firescooby

Reaction score
I've been reading, and still not quite sure what I need to do. I've attached some pictures that I labeled that might help explain my questions better.

Please advise and feel free to contribute.

Attachments

• Transom - inside labeled.jpg
    Transom - inside labeled.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 986
  • Transom - rear labeled.jpg
    Transom - rear labeled.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 986
Pic#1 - Its hard to tell from the pic if that piece is original equipment or not but many people including me add an extra piece of aluminum were the engine is going to be mounted just for a little more support.

Pic#2 - The cap - your going to have to start tearing the transom down in order to see if you can just cut the transom to size and slide it under the cap.

The extra piece of wood part#1 was probably place there for extra support and to give the engine a better clamping area.

The extra piece of wood part # 2 again kinda hard to tell from the picture but I would guess that when you remove that piece it will reveal more of the transom bracket and will also answer parts of your questions.

"What is this" It’s a transom bracket it gives extra support to the transom. It helps stop flexing when you hang and engine on the back and while under power.

I hope this helps. Other tin boaters please correct me if I am wrong.

fool4fish1226 said:
Pic#1 - Its hard to tell from the pic if that piece is original equipment or not but many people including me add an extra piece of aluminum were the engine is going to be mounted just for a little more support.

Pic#2 - The cap - your going to have to start tearing the transom down in order to see if you can just cut the transom to size and slide it under the cap.

The extra piece of wood part#1 was probably place there for extra support and to give the engine a better clamping area.

The extra piece of wood part # 2 again kinda hard to tell from the picture but I would guess that when you remove that piece it will reveal more of the transom bracket and will also answer parts of your questions.

"What is this" It’s a transom bracket it gives extra support to the transom. It helps stop flexing when you hang and engine on the back and while under power.

I hope this helps. Other tin boaters please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the reply. Once I tear it down, can I just place either one thick piece of wood or two "bonded" pieces that are both the shape of the transom? Instead of the "transom" piece and one large square piece?

THANKS!!

In picture #1, that is a thrust plate, often original, sometimes added on, or beefed up. It is like a 'scuff pad', and adds protection and reinforcement. The thrust of the motor pushes on that sheet, also, think of the top of the transom as a 'pivot point' when the motor is mounted, this plate again, adds protection to the skin of the transom.

To summarize, in Pic #1, the plate you mention is the 'motor mount', which is to protect the transom skin.

In Pic #2, Yes, I would put the wood right up to the lip, if you want it extra thick, I would bond two pieces of wood together, personally, I would make the transom wood the whole width and height of the boat, if weight allows.

Also, the vertical piece running from the floor of the boat to the tansom, is a 'knee', it supports the transom from flexing from the weight and thrust of the motor. Holds the transom rigid. If it is easy to replace, you can install two knees, like Mirrocraft does.

GreatWhite said:
In picture #1, that is a thrust plate, often original, sometimes added on, or beefed up. It is like a 'scuff pad', and adds protection and reinforcement. The thrust of the motor pushes on that sheet, also, think of the top of the transom as a 'pivot point' when the motor is mounted, this plate again, adds protection to the skin of the transom.

To summarize, in Pic #1, the plate you mention is the 'motor mount', which is to protect the transom skin.

In Pic #2, Yes, I would put the wood right up to the lip, if you want it extra thick, I would bond two pieces of wood together, personally, I would make the transom wood the whole width and height of the boat, if weight allows.

Also, the vertical piece running from the floor of the boat to the tansom, is a 'knee', it supports the transom from flexing from the weight and thrust of the motor. Holds the transom rigid. If it is easy to replace, you can install two knees, like Mirrocraft does.

Thank you VERY much!!

Regarding the knees. It appears that the current wood is "cut around" it. Would it be ok to mount it straight to the wood instead of having the transom wood "split"?

I know this thread is a little old, but I have the same question about the wood transom going around the knee or behind it. Any help would be great thanks.

popoeye said:
I know this thread is a little old, but I have the same question about the wood transom going around the knee or behind it. Any help would be great thanks.
What your seeing in the pictures is an attempt to strengthen an old week transom. If you start a new thread with pictures of your boat we can give you more specific info.

Latest posts