Any aluminum welders in the Houston area?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
My 40 hp Johnson has a broken skeg. The former owner put a plastic replacement on it, but it broke off when I hit an unmarked dredging pipe left in the middle of a channel.

A local welding outfit says they will weld a piece of aluminum on for a reasonable price, ...but...they are out in the field most of the time and we can't get together easily.

Anyone on here who can help a fellow tinboater out? I don't mind paying a reasonable price. thanks Rich

p.s. The black stuff in the picture is left-over epoxy from the prior black plastic skeg.

2011-10-13%25252013.43.18.jpg

Didn't want to invest in a welded fix on my 25 y.o. motor, or the hassle of removing the neoprene seals beforehand . . . so . . . I just cut off my old stub of a skeg nice and straight and bolted 2 aluminum plates to either side using blind nuts. After grinding the edges pretty sharp it has served me well. Then if I ever need to replace it, it's just a simple R&R.

Attachments

• SKEG.JPG
    SKEG.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 375
WOW! I NEVER thought about over-heating the seals. I fully agree. A bolt-on will have to do for me, too. ....... Patriot....you no-doubt saved me a LOT of time; trouble and money. THANK YOU. Rich

Rod...thanks for the LINK. I ordered the part a few minutes ago. It was the only place that had one to fit my particular Johnson 40. thank you for all of your help. Rich

richg99,
Could you post a pic taken down into the top mounting edge on this product when it arrives before you mount it? I'm interested in how much prep work is needed on the old skeg stub.
Thanks in advance

Latest posts