Any tips to cutting wood to contour??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firescooby

Reaction score
I'm no carpenter...not even close.

I was wondering if there are any trucks or tips to cutting wood at a contour or curve?

I'm going to be cutting wood to match the side of my boat (which is curved) and also some "ribs" to support my decking. This of course will be curved as the bottom of the boat?

Thanks in advance

Firescooby said:
I'm no carpenter...not even close.

I was wondering if there are any trucks or tips to cutting wood at a contour or curve?

I'm going to be cutting wood to match the side of my boat (which is curved) and also some "ribs" to support my decking. This of course will be curved as the bottom of the boat?

Thanks in advance

If I understand what you are asking......draw out the "cut lines" on your wood and use a jig saw. They can be bought pretty inexpensively....or, borrow one from a friend.....just buy your own blades so as to not use up all of his. :shock:

Use a contour guage. It's a tool with rows of tiny rods sticking through a block. Press it into the contour you need to copy then lay it out on brown paper and mark that for a pattern. Then use the pattern to mark the wood you want to cut. it's just about idiot proof and will give you an exact contour. You can get it at a tool specialty place, maybe even Home Depot or Lowes, for around $10 or so. Well worth the investment considering the time you save with freehand pattern making.

I've got a jigsaw and contour gauge, but the side pieces are 75" long.

The picture I've attached shows what I want to do. The red shaded area will be a storage compartment with lid/ bench. It will be level with front and rear bench and carpeted.

I will be removing the middle bench that the previous owner had cut out the center section for a livewell.

Attachments

• side box.jpg
    side box.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 1,885
I found big sheets of cardboard that I could use for for templates when building my first boat. Worked pretty well.

I would suggest you mark the centerline of the boat say between the seats. with that marked once you get the patteren for the side ribs etc. you can cut the pattern to that center line. once both sides are done and cut to width you can then place them on your material you intend to use. this way you can cut out of one pc of material... remember to mark the seat lines as oft times boat seats are not actually square to the centerline of the boat. bigest thing is to not get in a hurry. it takes time to do it so you will be happy and proud with the finish product.
good luck.... send pictures when your done

A variation on the contour gauge...on a bigger scale....is to take a large piece of cardboard.

Cut slices in the edge. The size/depth of the slices should match the biggest "bend" or contour that you will copy. A little bit longer than necessary is OK.

Place the cardboard up against the original piece. Bend the slices where necessary to make the cardboard fit closely. When you have the thing bent...draw a dark pencil line on the inside of all of the bends. then..remove the cardboard and cut off on the pencil line. Trial fit it. If you cut too much or too little..cut or tape some additional cardboard pieces in to fill the error. Cumbersome, but it works.
regards. Rich

Hope this makes sense....RG

cardboard-sliced.jpg

Cardboard works well for templates, as does a sheet of insulation foam board. Needle-type contour gauges are also pretty effective, but due to their size, they only work for small areas.

lay a scrap board against the side where you want it and take a compass set it so it runs on the board the entire length of the side of the boat, run the compass so 1 end is in constant contacvt with the side of the boat and with your srap piece, this should give ya what your looking for... good luck :D

https://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Projects/FH02NOV_SCRIBI_01.JPG this is what im talking about

richg99 said:
A variation on the contour gauge...on a bigger scale....is to take a large piece of cardboard.

Cut slices in the edge. The size/depth of the slices should match the biggest "bend" or contour that you will copy. A little bit longer than necessary is OK.

Place the cardboard up against the original piece. Bend the slices where necessary to make the cardboard fit closely. When you have the thing bent...draw a dark pencil line on the inside of all of the bends. then..remove the cardboard and cut off on the pencil line. Trial fit it. If you cut too much or too little..cut or tape some additional cardboard pieces in to fill the error. Cumbersome, but it works.
regards. Rich

Hope this makes sense....RG

cardboard-sliced.jpg

Thanks, sounds like a good idea!!

BOB350RX said:
lay a scrap board against the side where you want it and take a compass set it so it runs on the board the entire length of the side of the boat, run the compass so 1 end is in constant contacvt with the side of the boat and with your srap piece, this should give ya what your looking for... good luck :D

https://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Projects/FH02NOV_SCRIBI_01.JPG this is what im talking about

Now that's pretty stinkin' smart!!

Firescooby said:
BOB350RX said:

Now that's pretty stinkin' smart!!

I WISH I WOUD OF THOUGHT OF IT BEFORE I DID MY MOD :roll:

Latest posts