wrecked the jet jon....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majkowskid

Reaction score
well, i had just finished the fiberglass jet jon a couple weeks ago. been having a lot of fun with it.... until this saturday!
going about 35 mph up a river that feeds a local lake.... and WAMMO... huge underground rock formation. solid rock.
put a baseball size crack in the hull, about 2 foot in front of the intake. i wanted to smooth that portion out due to cavitation, and i guess i found my reason to do it :)

started on the repairs yesterday... looking good already. i tell you what, water flowing in your hull really puts a damper on the fishing quick!

will post pics of damage later.

Sorry to hear about that. Glad you're OK, and you got it back to the hill before it took on too much water. Like you said, now's the time to do that modification to your hull, and hopefully that will eliminate the issues with cavitation.

I've had a few incidents with jetboats myself. When I owned a Sea Doo Speedster jetboat, I had a steering failure, due to corrosion eating through the steering control bracket on the jet pump nozzle...and since the nozzles are both connected to each other via a tie rod, if the main one fails, they both fail. When it went out, I was going about 30 MPH, doing a little serpentine driving. I yanked it left, then I yanked it to the right. Went to yank it back to the left, and it kept going right, and ramped across a shell midden. I bet I caught 3 feet of air, and probably went airborne for a good 40 feet or so, then landed in the middle of the marsh. Fortunately, it was high tide, so, I was able to paddle out of the grass. And since it was a twin engine boat, I was able to make it back to the hill, by varying the amount of throttle on the 2 engines to steer.

The other incident was with the Aluma-Jet. I skirted close to the bank of a channel, trying to give some fishermen a wide berth, and I forgot about a 2" diameter metal pipe that was partially underwater at the edge of that bank on that particular tide. I slid over it, and as it got to the transom, it caught the very back edge, and ripped a hole about 2 inches long, and about 1/2 inch wide....and it also managed to take out the steering control arm on my jet pump, once again, causing a loss of steering. I quickly plugged the hole with a rag, to stop the water. Then I had to have someone tow me back to the hill, as I had no way to steer.

Needless to say, I was pretty agitated about that pipe damaging my boat, and was determined to make that pipe the victim of my anger. Since I couldn't take a stick of dynamite and blow it into a million pieces of shrapnel (at least not without getting in serious trouble) I went back out there with my 14 foot Duracraft with a 15 merc, hooked a tow line to it, and proceeded to snatch it out. It took several running starts to get it out (I'm surprised I didn't tear out the transom) I hauled that POS pipe to the dump, and hurled it into the dumpster while uttering a few choice words that I can't repeat here. LOL

So, don't feel bad about what happened.....spend enough time running on the water, and something's bound to happen. Anyhow, keep us posted on the progress of your hull modification/repair. And again, glad to hear you made it through the incident unscathed.

thanks psg... i knew it was bound to happen one day, but i didn't think it'd hapen this soon! :)

i don't have the $$ resources right now to do the modificatoin that i'd truly like to do, so i'm just trying to do my best while i'm under the boat right now. i layed some glass to repair the damage, and i've made my own mixture of "cat hair" (chopped glass and resin mixed together) to build up the areas around the hump i've told you about. i've smoothed it out quite a bit from what it looked like before, and i'm going to give it another layer of my mixture tonight.
for now, once it's built up a bit, i'm going to smooth it out and paint it just to get my kids back out on the water before it gets too cold. fish are biting too much to not be out there!

yesterday i put on a R&D scoop intake grate i'm hoping will help out with cavitation as well. i got it for cheap, so i figured it was worth a try. it's pretty aggressive looking compared to the stock grate.

with the hull smoothed out about 50% and the intake grate, i'm hoping all will be well and i won't have to do the mod this winter!

Sorry to hear the boo boo.

I bet if you got a group of the jet crowd together, you would hear of a hole or two.

Hope you're on the water again soon.

Welcome to the world of jet rig's!!

I put a few holes in my old rig last year, ive been fortunate so far this season. It will happen no matter how careful you are. To bad its glass and not aluminum, you could have that welded up by now and be back on the water.

post a pict or 2 of the damage and your repair job, always interesting.

Latest posts