Awesome Craigslist find today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moberg12

Reaction score
My boat build has been on hold for quite some time. The fact the trailer that came with the boat was a crappy home made job had me searching for a replacement. Well all summer I put the boat project on hold as race season was in full swing.

Fast forward to today I checked craigslist on a whim and saw it. "Boat Trailer $150 you must take the boat" Well I sent and email and a couple hours later I was the proud new owner of a cox tilt boat trailer and a free boat.

here she is in all her glory:
2011-11-04_18-31-37_961.jpg

2011-11-04_18-30-38_5.jpg

new tongue & jack!!
2011-11-04_18-32-12_103.jpg

2011-11-04_18-32-18_615.jpg

came with the windshield
2011-11-04_18-30-58_446.jpg

fully adjustable
2011-11-04_18-31-05_956.jpg

How I left my build:
74Mirrocraft011.jpg

I'm pretty stoked, the only thing holding up finishing my boat was the trailer. Looking forward to getting it finished for next spring. Plan is to take the trailer apart, paint and replace hardware and anything else that looks suspect!! Then I can finally put my boat on the trailer to put it all back together.

BTW if you know anything about that boat speak up, I have no need for it, and unless it is desirable in some way I will probably take it to the dump. The hull itself is in really good shape!!

:beer:

Step one complete:

2011-11-05_12-35-54_175.jpg

2011-11-05_12-36-01_854.jpg

2011-11-05_12-36-14_121.jpg

2011-11-05_12-36-23_363.jpg

2011-11-05_12-36-31_622.jpg

I hated to do that but upon further inspection this morning the boat was in really bad shape. It could have been restored but that would have taken the right kind of person(not me) and it could have taken years to find that person. At least it wasn't a tin 8)

The dang thing weighed in @ 720lbs.

Step two "trailer tear down" will begin soon

LOL . . . someone gave me a free 16' boat a few years ago and it wound up in the same place yours did, after further review of the tired fiberglass. I've been a tin knocker ever since!
BTW, what's the year, make, and model of your good looking tin hull?

Hi Moberg,

Your trailer looks like my old Cox, a 1971 model. Be sure to check where the sides converge into the tongue, and between the spring mounting rails and the trailer frame. That is where most of the corrosion accumulated on mine. Mine is bad enough that I will have to remove some of the C-channel where the spring rails meet the frame and have some angle steel welded in to replace it. May have to replace the spring rails as well. I've lucked into a Vann galvanized trailer that was my father-in-laws and will use it now. The Cox will become a "when I get a 'round-to-it" project. It was my uncle's boat and trailer, and I would like to restore it just for the sentimental value.

P.s. ... my new-to-me Vann trailer comes with a free boat too, maybe worse condition than the one you had fun with.

Ringo Steele said:
Hi Moberg,

Your trailer looks like my old Cox, a 1971 model. Be sure to check where the sides converge into the tongue, and between the spring mounting rails and the trailer frame. That is where most of the corrosion accumulated on mine. Mine is bad enough that I will have to remove some of the C-channel where the spring rails meet the frame and have some angle steel welded in to replace it. May have to replace the spring rails as well. I've lucked into a Vann galvanized trailer that was my father-in-laws and will use it now. The Cox will become a "when I get a 'round-to-it" project. It was my uncle's boat and trailer, and I would like to restore it just for the sentimental value.

P.s. ... my new-to-me Vann trailer comes with a free boat too, maybe worse condition than the one you had fun with.

Thanks for the tip!! I'll be sure to pay special attention to those areas during the tear down.

One of my boats came with a trailer that "looked" good. The PO said that he painted it with Rustoleum to stop the rusting. After towing it home 100+ miles I decided to look further. There were gaping holes in the frame! The paint was being held together by the rust! It was kind of fun cutting the frame up with a reciprocating saw.

Projects are always fun!

Just curious how much roughly it cost to dump a boat? It seems like you see a lot of "free boats" on decent trailers on craigslist.

PATRIOT2 said:
LOL . . . someone gave me a free 16' boat a few years ago and it wound up in the same place yours did, after further review of the tired fiberglass. I've been a tin knocker ever since!
BTW, what's the year, make, and model of your good looking tin hull?

Sorry I missed this question. It is a 1974 16' Mirrocraft deep fisherman, with optional side console :D

jasper60103 said:
Just curious how much roughly it cost to dump a boat? It seems like you see a lot of "free boats" on decent trailers on craigslist.

The boat weighed 720lbs and the dump charged me $25. I think the rate at my dump is $66 per ton.

I cut up my old rusty home made trailer and took it to the metal scrap yard and got $34 for it (10$ per 100lbs right now). So I'm only in the trailer for a whopping $141

Gee, I never thought of taking the old cut up trailer to the recycle yard. I did leave the axle with the wheels and tires attached on the curb with a free sign. It didn't last the afternoon!

jasper60103 said:
Good deal. Looking forward to seeing your build continue.

Thanks!! I'll be starting in on the trailer this weekend. I'll probably start a thread in the trailer section of the board to document my progress.

Hopefully by spring I'll finally get the old boat in the water for the first time.

Latest posts