Hull cleaning

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBobber

Reaction score
The question of the day is-
How do you clean up an aluminum boat hull? I bought a 14' Gregor that came with those white water corosion spots and and tan water waterline discoloration. I'd like to get rid of both. My home body of water is brackish to full on saltwater. Is there anything like a wax to keep it looking clean and protect it too. What's the plan to get it done? Thanks -Tom.
boatoct2011033.jpg

boatoct2011086.jpg

I have a Gregor that I bought used. It had been sitting for over twenty years on a trailer in a backyard and had lots of pits on the bottom half of the outside of the hull. I used a paint stripping wheel on an electric drill to remove them but I primed and painted the hull after that. I did use the wheel on the rub rails and decking to polish up the aluminum although I have not polished or waxed it.

Having had aluminum wheels before, I know how much work it is to maintain a shine on aluminum which is why I painted my hull.

I would think a good metal polish would help. Good luck.

BTW, is that a step on the transom next to the motor?

There's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyOodLNI4BQ

... and there's Shark Hide (expensive):

https://www.sharkhide.com/

... and Mothers Aluminum Polish.

All will do it, all require quite a bit of work

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm going to try and clean it up, then see how long it stays pretty. If it ends up being alot of upkeep to keep it looking good, I'll look into painting it.
nomowork- No step on the transom. -Tom.

I have heard great things about the Sharkhide. Personally I use a product called Flitz and it seems to work well and repells stains even after 3 months.

TommyBobber said:
nomowork- No step on the transom. -Tom.

After looking more closely, it's the angle of the lighting that made the bottom of the transom look like it was a step. But then again my other defense is that I'm a senior citizen! :shock:

Latest posts