new PA. regulation -under 16'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overboard

Reaction score
ok guys, hope this hasn't been posted. from NOV. 1 - to APR. 30 you MUST WEAR a PFD while on a boat that is under 16'. anyone know where I can get a size 16XL to wear over my clothing, or 16XL coat to wear over the life vest ? guess I have to buy one of the new type of CO2 life vests. thank goodness its not about the money. oh well; we can just fish out of my boat. mine is 16'. the 1448 lowe, we usually fish out, of can be kept in storage untill may 1'st. or we can BOTH buy the CO2 vests, and use the 14' lowe.- I'm just sooo glad that someones looking out for my safety :---)

Its been the law in NY for a few years, only 20' and below. I have co2 vests but they don't fit well over heavy coats. Have also worn life vest under the last layer, too. Best case, it saves your life. Worse case, it saves them from sending in the divers.

Not wearing a PFD while boating over frigid water is more stupid than stupid... it's double stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc

I wear an Arctic Armor suit when boating/fishing on cold water. The suit has enough floatation to float 3 adults, and it's warm, light, and comfy.

https://www.idigear.com/video-fox.php

jigngrub said:
Not wearing a PFD while boating over frigid water is more stupid than stupid... it's double stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc

I wear an Arctic Armor suit when boating/fishing on cold water. The suit has enough floatation to float 3 adults, and it's warm, light, and comfy.

https://www.idigear.com/video-fox.php
not familiar with these. do they qualify as a type III pfd? I'd hate to spend close to $400 and not be legal. I thought there would be a problem finding something to fit over the heavy clothing, or under it, and being able to fish, but apparently the products are out there. just gotta do some homework. UHHH! talk about stupid. deer drives. men with rifles, pushing deer toward men with rifles. when the deer come through you shoot, sometimes sounds like a war going on if deer are running. 25 hunters allowed to participate here in PA. guess that's not considered stupid. how about meds? may cause liver, kidney, stomach, etc. damage. I would think you would really have to be stupid to take anything like this. ALL of us do very stupid things in one way or another. just let me decide if I want to be stupid or not.

What is so different about this time slot? Are these dates any different than the warm months? Or is it because not as many people are out on the water?

lovedr79 said:
What is so different about this time slot? Are these dates any different than the warm months? Or is it because not as many people are out on the water?
your kidding right???
water temps drop during these months and the chances of surviving in lower temps is low like someone said they wont have to send in divers to retrieve the body
Some people need to be protected from themselves i guess
My inflatable one stays on and im in a 21 ft boat better safe that sorry

Early hardwater walkers should wear them as well.

Not sure, but think the Artic Armer is not pfd rated to qualify to regs. I have heard great things about their suits though.

Here you go, when in frigid water drop your shoes and pants and swim to shore, the less bulk you have slowing you down the better. Try swimming with shoes, pfd, and pants on in any water, it doesn't work. I know for a fact this works. Two friends in a 18' Jon caught air and flipped on the rappahanock, the one without a life vest dropped his pants, the other with a jacket didn't strip and died. The survivor swam hard and fast for half a mile and was at shore on a dock where he was found by the owner who took him to the hospital the other guy was found three miles down river DEAD. coast guard said if he woulda dropped his pants and didn't have on a vest he woulda survived. This was in November. I was supposed to be on that trip but got called into work for the weekend. So don't give me the you gotta be kidding right mess. And by the way I am a certified scuba diver so I have down some swimming in frigid water. I certified in 37 degree water with only a 5mm wetsuit.

Here in sunny Southern California, the water is pretty much comfortable year round.

We were on our sailing dinghy a few years ago in a local lake on a nice sunny day. We always wore the life vests on the sailboat and the kayak, both of which are now sold. I capsized the sail boat one day and I had my life jacket on. My GF decided to take hers off and a stow it away in a bag on the boat. I'm glad I had mine on as I didn't have to think of anything else except getting things done. I'm not a strong swimmer but my GF is so she was able to swim around until we uprighted the sailboat. I was warm enough up to the time we put the boat on the trailer. My GF on the other hand was shivering as soon as she got back onto the boat. I can't imagine being in the water on a frozen lake!