Marine Grade Plywood cause any neg. affects to aluminum???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G Lap

Reaction score
I have learned here on the forums that pressure treated 2 x 4s and pressure treated plywood can cause corrosion to aluminum, due to the copper or other chemicals used in the treatment of the wood.

Does Marine Grade Plywood cause corrosion, or have any negative effects on aluminum?

Is it treated to withstand moisture and weather without applying any additional coatings (Spar Urethane, resin, ect)?

I was told by a friend that this type of plywood is stiffer than regular exterior plywood of the same thickness. I have a Weldbilt jon boat, and the ribs across the floor are very tall. I want to cut a piece of plywood to fit and use as a floor, I was curious if this would be a good application for marine grade plywood. Thanks for the help.

Marine grade plywood isn't treated, nor is it coated. It's a high grade plywood with few or no voids. It's mainly used for making wooden boat hulls.

Marine grade plywood is very expensive, and your application doesn't really need it. MG plywood will rot just like any other plywood if no sealed properly.

Epoxy coated (by you) Aruco ACX plwood will be fine for your application... but you can put marine grade in your boat with no other problems other than spending more money than you need to.