Jack plate - where should reference height come from?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I am gettin ready to make a jack plate this week. I need to establish my low/high points. Any idea where a good starting point is in relation to cav plate?

Should the cav plate be equal height to bottom of transom at lowest point, highest point? Adjust up from there or both down and up?

Any ideas?

This jack plate is very similar to the style i will be fabricating.

Here is the back of my boat.

On a side note, I will be using a 15 hp motor and boat is rated for 10 hp. Not sure if that matters for location of installation.

where in stanislaus cty do u live? i use to live in newman till 2005. valco are great boats, The 15 will probably be fine. dont know much about jack plate other than the cavitation plate equal to the bottom of the boat is good.

Jay D said:
where in stanislaus cty do u live? i use to live in newman till 2005. valco are great boats, The 15 will probably be fine. dont know much about jack plate other than the cavitation plate equal to the bottom of the boat is good.
OK thanks for the response...im trying to figure out if one would ever want to go lower than the bottom..? Or if raising in height will be the only positive adjustment.

I live in Turlock. I have a few buddies in Newman. Know the Rogers family?

Latest posts