Ive gone to the dark side (pics)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
Well I've sold the Sea Ark.. Something I hadn't planned on doing at least until spring/summer. For the past couple months I've been asking my neighbor about his boat and finally he has decided to sell so I present to you my new rig. 95' J series 16' Carolina Skiff w/ 98 OMC 50. I'll be taking it to the welder to get a T-top installed shortly. Has some cosmetic issues but nothing a little elbow grease can't fix. Paid $1500 which isn't bad for this setup. Hopefully after it's cleaned up and the top added it will look like a new boat. Had it out on the bay last weekend and it was a blast. The ol' lady on the other hand did not enjoy the ride. Bit of a swell and heavy on the throttle didn't help. Had the bow at eye level while standing a couple times. This was unappreciated though she can lay out on it in better weather so she is somewhat content. For now. :p

How to ride in a Flat bottom Carolina Skiff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRlwnVcABVQ
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRlwnVcABVQ[/youtube]

Attachments

• Cskiff.jpg
    Cskiff.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 615
  • Cskiff2.jpg
    Cskiff2.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 615
  • tinboat.jpg
    tinboat.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 615
I've owned a number of CS's. Still keep an old CS STD 16 footer up in Wisconsin. She keeps me fishing all Summer long. They are fine boats if taken care of. One thing to be wary of is ....a few of them had water intrusion issues. Mostly due to poor installation of center consoles or ice chests/seats.

If the screws holding those items to the hull deck were not properly sealed...AND...the boat was left outside...AND... the drain holes were covered.....water sitting on the deck could seep into the foam.

Extra weight was slowing some boats down. Drilling the transom and tilting the bow high up would allow some water to drain out naturally. Leaving the boat in the tilted position for a few weeks worked wonders. regards, Rich

p.s. The original CS J 16's were only rated for 25 hp. Your boat must fly! RG

You'll really like how those glass boats rot from the inside out and you don't realize they're rotten until your deck goes soft which is the last thing to go.

Metal rules!

Thanks for the tip Rich, I'm sure I'll have to employ them soon enough. Have the boat at the welder right now. Can't wait to get it out before the weather goes too far south.

Latest posts