Remove old carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pescatore

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I have just started to work on my Lowe 1848 jon boat. The old owner did a great job building alluminum pavement and covering everything with carpet but since I would like to replace the carpet I ripped it off. Unfortunately a lot of old glue remained stuck to the boat (sometimes with small peace of carpet. Is there anythig I can use (type of solvent...) I can use to clean up the alluminum from the glue.

Thanks

goof off always works for me. But make sure to test on a small area first.

https://www.goofoffstainremover.com/

Any local hardware store should carry it.

I tried every type of degreaser, degluer, unsticker, fuel, oil, petroleum, unfastner and remover I could find and in the end, it came down to a cup brush on an angle grinder. may be different glue though?

I do not know which type of glue that guy use to attach the carpet to the alluminum, but I'll try the heat gun and scraper first and eventually move to something chemical (that goof off promise miracles).

How about some pics, I looked at the back of some liquid nails and it notes for clean up and removal they have their own remover, a lot of guys use that stuff, but I would stay with a dry system, I like the cup brush noted above, any residual remover may hang around or do things you dont want it to do in othger places. what is the chances it is a reservoir rig? I dont see too many electric builds on the board.

I'll post some pics soon. BTW I do not have a heat gun, do you think that a propane torch not pointed directly to the glue, would do the job?

pescatore said:
I'll post some pics soon. BTW I do not have a heat gun, do you think that a propane torch not pointed directly to the glue, would do the job?
I think that will be too hot and too direct. You can get a heat gun at Walmart for about $20 in the paint section.

Best thing I found to remove stubborn carpet glue from my Alweld was a 4-1/2" grinder and a Dewalt knotted steel wire wheel. The previous owner glued a hideous yellow/brown Astroturf to the benches and sides. I used the Dewalt knotted steel wire cup at first, but found that it just swirled melted glue around the work area. I switched to the wire wheel, and it worked great. I used the wire wheel with the throated silver arbor.

I applied light pressure at about 30-45 degrees and it the glue just came off and was thrown out of the way. When applied at 90 degrees, I found it was most effective and most unwieldy.

Ok, here are some pics. I found that what is confenient is to combine all the 3 technique suggested. After I ripped of the carpet I scrape off most of the glue after soften it with a heat gun then I use the grinder and finish the job to perfection with Goofoff.
I found that where there is a thick layer of old glue the grinder spread it around, instead it come easily off with the scraper. In some spot instead the glue is super dry and the grinder works better. Goofoff just give the final touch (BTW that thing i like Alien's saliva, I had son non latex glove on an it melted the tip of the fingers :shock: )

Attachments

• District 13-20111119-00339.jpg
    District 13-20111119-00339.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 1,544
  • District 13-20111119-00340.jpg
    District 13-20111119-00340.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 1,544
  • District 13-20111119-00341.jpg
    District 13-20111119-00341.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 1,544
  • District 13-20111119-00342.jpg
    District 13-20111119-00342.jpg