Need help with making my own cover...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a brand new canvas cover for an outdated size of grain wagon. He was just going to throw it away, so I said I would take it. The problem, or mabye not, is that it is 16x20 and my boat is only a 12 foot. Does anyone know of any good plans for making your own covers?

No plans.....but...some help here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZAMk9z7iY8

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080313084245AAcP1RF

Re: Tips? - Sew my own boat cover.
I'm an upholsterer and I'll help any way I can. Here's a few tips to get you started:

1) Measure the overall amount of area you need to cover and add 6"-8" all the way around. Sew the majority of the canvas together first to create the rough cover size that you decided on.

2) Use chalk on the cover to mark all of your points. Start from the center and work outward. I recommend starting with the bow cover until you get the hang of what you're doing.

3) You will need either clamps, a helper, or snap tacks to ease the process. Snap tacks are snaps with needle like pins on the top that puncture thru the canvas. This not only holds it in place, but also marks where the snaps will ultimately end up.

4) After the center is secured in place, pull the canvas outward to one side and chalk off the perimeter of the cover. Repeat for the other side.

5) Sew 1" webbing arouns the perimeter of the canvas at your chalk lines. Cut off excess material. The snaps will go thru the webbing, reducing the strain on the material.

6) Purchase 3/4 binding in a matching color and bind the edges of the material/webbing. Alternately, you can add 1" extra fabric at your chalk line and fold it over, creating a hem.

7) Use nickel plated snaps to fight the corrosion. Apply a dab of chapstick to them and they won't stick on the snap.

To avoid large wrinkles, fold the material back on itself at that point and stitch down (creating a 'dart'). This will give a more professional look.

PM me if you need any pointers. Best of luck.

bow cover.jpgsnap tack.jpg

Latest posts