Poor mans boat cover - with pics this time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhockins

Reaction score
Money is tight this year so I had to go cheap in covering the boat. (Pics attached)

At first the water pooled, so I put the buckets under the ladder to raise the tarp and now it's working fine.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    823.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_3277.JPG
    IMG_3277.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,060
I'm getting a warning saying my file is too large.

How do I reduce the file size of my pictures (JPEG)?

(Couldn't find instructions in FAQ's)

Open your pic in paint on your computer and you can resize it easily there, or join photobucket (it's free) and post nice big pics anywhere on the net.

I like it.

A couple of the plastic saw horses and a 2 x 4 did the job for me.

If you need a place to store the ladder, I think that's a good idea. If you don't, I think a piece of lumber for $5 might me easier to handle and won't require all of the tie downs.

I made something similar for my fiberglass boat. I used two vertical 4" x 4" wooden posts with a groove cut out on the top to hold a horizontal 2" x 2" post, then laid the vinyl tarp over it like yours. It gets windy at times and the heavy posts have held up nicely.

I made a PVC cover for my aluminum boat that I saw on this forum. It works very nicely and easy enough to take down and put up.

boatcover001.jpg

some folding lawn chairs work pretty good as well to support the tarp instead of buckets and a ladder. just a thought.

I basically built a hut out of ply wood and I have one of those really heavy covers the the truck drivers use to transport dirt and rocks (the ones that will give you a hernia) .

My 20 something dollar cover support.

The pictures with the cover on is without the cover straps tightened

Attachments

• IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 978
  • IMG_2944.JPG
    IMG_2944.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 978
  • IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 978
  • IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 978
Bhockins said:
Money is tight this year so I had to go cheap in covering the boat. (Pics attached)

At first the water pooled, so I put the buckets under the ladder to raise the tarp and now it's working fine.

What do you think?
I did someting similar with buckets. I put one on each of the three benches, with the middle one raised a few inches, and ran a ratchet strap from front to back. I used small gallon buckets, next year I might use the 5 gal.

Hey Fool4Fish!

I didn't realize you're the guy who built A Little Snookered! What a great job you did on your boat! I learned a ton from your posts! If there were a tin boat hall of fame, I'd nominate you!

I highly recommend anyone who is planning a project to review yours before starting.

Love the American bulldogs also. Our friend has two who are so ugly they're good looking. And they are both sweethearts.

Bhockins said:
Hey Fool4Fish!

I didn't realize you're the guy who built A Little Snookered! What a great job you did on your boat! I learned a ton from your posts! If there were a tin boat hall of fame, I'd nominate you!

I highly recommend anyone who is planning a project to review yours before starting.

Love the American bulldogs also. Our friend has two who are so ugly they're good looking. And they are both sweethearts.

Bhockins Thanks for the compliments. I grew up in Summerset County PA and still have family and friends there. I go home every few years for deer season.

In the picture below you can see how my support is staying arched. I used rubber stopper feet I found at HD and put them on the ends of the pvc to help grip and protect the boat. I just bend the pvc to take it off or put it on.

Attachments

• Slide161.JPG
    Slide161.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 906
Fool4Fish,

I believe I need to clone your idea. So simple!

Is that 3/4" schedule 40?

Did you use rubber tips on the vertical end pieces as well, or are they anchored?

Did you glue it or just held together by it's own tension?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I was off from work and enjoying the boat.

The PVC is 1/2 inch schedule 40. I used rubber tips on all the ends even the two vertical posts.

I did not not glue it together at first but will be doing so this weekend.

Hope this helps

Latest posts